Ethan's Starbo GT28 Build - First start up!

Thought I better make a build thread.

Bought car pretty standard a few years ago, basic spec list just a few usual bits, this is what she looked like:

FiZw0wt.jpgA8CAmjE.jpg

Dad drove that around for a few months before we took her off the road for a few upgrades.

Spent about another few months off the road while we upgraded her with:

• FMIC

• 3" custom exhaust

• Walbro pump

• Zisco mani

• Celica twin pots

• Carbon bonnet

• Few others

I finally got to drove this after having my first car for a year, drove it around till insurance ran out and decided to take her off the road to upgrade the powarr. That's what she looked like:

7YeP4yR.jpg

Last complete picture of her before she's stripped to what I have now:

RfL00ta.jpg

This is the parts I've collected so far for her:

• Apexi PowerFC + Hand controller

• TMD forged engine

• Garrett GT2860RS

• Competition Clutch stage 5

• Full polybrush set

• MK2 Boot and Glow Panel

• Just ordered Wepr Top Mount manifold+decat+screamer

• Few other bits and bobs

Bits I still need for definite so far:

• Time and money

• External wastegate

• Exhaust system

What she looks like at the moment:

i5RmQ0j.jpgUfRVhGw.jpg

I apologies for the poor pictures, I will update with better ones soon.

Anyway, so far today I've fitted flywheel, clutch and taken the inlet off the engine to replace with my old GT inlet as the TMD engine is from a Glanza:

mBlGlvV.jpg

Spec of the rest of the car by the way:

• DGR Coilovers all round

• Anti-lift kit

• Much thicker front anti-roll bar

• Adjustable rear anti-sway bar

• Braided brake lines all round

• OEM 3 point rear brace

Will be fair slow progress, need it done by May however :(

Umm will keep this updated as I go along I guess!

Edited by Ethanep82

cool cant wait for this

whats up with the gtir ??

probly gave you 5e timing belt

Thanks and neither can I!

Nothing much, bit of welding around the arches, new rad and bit of tidying. But it's my Dad's and he doesn't have the insurance money really and no need for it on the road till spring/summer!

Anyway to tell? The idler/tensioner is fine.

Looks like it will be an interesting build mate! Your from Essex too right? Where abouts?

Hope so :) Yes mate from Chelmsford!

Just realised you're the one who's doing the EP95 build, holy shit yours is mint mate, read through your log a couple times can't get enough of it!!

When are you hoping to get yours on the road or have you not thought about that yet? Nice! I'm from Brentwood... Will be cool to have a few more local people! Cheers buddy, I'll pop down in it once it's done

Well hopefully before May for japfest, that's my plan, you?. Ah not that far awesome! Oh yes please mate, look's ace man.

Nice gtt but do I see a nissan pulsar gtir ?

Thanks and yup a very quick gtir too :)

Edited by Ethanep82

Sounds good to me, hopefully the good weather will be back then! I'm hoping for March but it seems never ending Okay mate let me know if you need any help too!

That's exactly my plan, get her back to enjoy it for the rest of the year!! You're doing a massive overhaul man, making such good progress, all worth it in the end mate :) Thank's man, really appreciate that and same goes for you, drop me a PM if you need a helping hand with anything!

Nice build man. Nice to see more of us from Chelmsford :)

Thanks mate, ah didn't know you're from Chelmsford too! Wouldn't suppose you live around little baddow area? Seen a black GT around there before.

Thanks mate, ah didn't know you're from Chelmsford too! Wouldn't suppose you live around little baddow area? Seen a black GT around there before. .

No sir I don't I live in great leighs but I'm always around Chelmsford I know a few little blast routes round there so sometimes I like to let lose :) there's increasingly more of us round this way (essex) now so a meet would probably bring a good turn out :)

Edited by Ep82gi

No sir I don't I live in great leighs but I'm always around Chelmsford I know a few little blast routes round there so sometimes I like to let lose :) there's increasingly more of us round this way (essex) now so a meet would probably bring a good turn out :)

Ahh I think I've seen you about actually, you go around the Braintree area at all? Couple of friends told me they've seen me down the great leighs bypass, but my car is off the road :crazy:

Only a small update, didn't get much time this weekend.

But I managed to fit my new oem toyota steering rack boot mmm:

Anmr107.jpg

Got both my lower arms painted, polybushed, ball joints fitted and then fitted to the car:

AhQZdas.jpg

I use to hate seeing the 2 aircon pipes poke out the firewall every time I opened the bonnet. So after faffing around for an hour or so, I managed to take the evaporator out:

rTHRrTB.jpg

The bung for the 2 aircon pipes are gonna be a great for passing my power cable through:

yxvsaJo.jpg

• 3 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while, been waiting for parts/not had time to work on it etc usual excuses.

Got the engine and gearbox in a few weeks ago:

CfaFHGL.jpg

Had to make our own gearbox bolt lawl:

UHGFbgT.jpg

Wepr top mount looks the nuts:

8GgtBHp.jpg

RrBZAku.jpg

Turbo and downpipe fitted:

ZZxgFNU.jpg

RFeagBN.jpg

AoV4KEm.jpg

GLwCSBS.jpg

Wired up injectors, inlet and bits and pieces like that..

That's it for updates for now.

Need to sort water/oil lines for turbo, if anyone knows best places for bits like that, let me know.

Next on list is rest of the wiring and then radiator in,

• 1 month later...

Update:

Shortened the brake servo(?) pipe down, really tidy's up that area

HrLiGBA.jpg

Removed the carbon canister, relocated the coil pack to where the canister was and bolted the fuel pressure regulator where the coil pack use to be.

6IPdF8A.jpg

As you can see in the picture above as well, I have removed all the air con bits what use to plug into the manifold, looks much tidier!

3BtCfSD.jpg

Tidying all the wiring up around by the fuse box. Cut and removed the air con fuse box and you can also see the radiator is mounted in the bottom left:

Ar5insY.jpg

Made up bottom brackets for the radiator, holds really well, well chuffed with it:

w0aVSKd.jpgQivREIs.jpg

Installed drive shafts too, chopped some more wiring back and few other bits. Making decent progress now, can't wait to start her to see what she sounds like!

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update:

Got my oil return pipe cut and fitted. Bends down and then back up at the bottom, like a small semi-circle, would this matter? (Will get a proper picture later)

Wastegate and screamer pipe fitted:

0E2xPdQ.jpgsH5olFn.jpg

Intercooler fitted, starting to look like a car more and more finally!:

ALMSaHC.jpgSizEAtr.jpg

But most importantly, my £6 rad cap arrived:

ZTf9khW.jpg

Didn't get much done this weekend, baby sitting and storm weather prevented that, but when I could I got the following done:

• Installed both hubs, removed discs and brakes. The brakes needs taking apart and sorting out.

• Worked out the route im going to go with intercooler pipework.

• Got my MK2 boot out, gave that a clean up, ready to install my glowpanel on it and fit to my car.

• Fitted short shifter I bought from someone, but doesnt feel very shot atm :\

No pictures yet, but it's still coming along nicely for me

Edited by Ethanep82
  • 3 months later...

Jeez its been awhile since I've updated this!

Finally got my brakes+new pads on and bolted up :)

sKBxIKv.jpg

Hooked my intercooler completely up hot/cold side now.

Wired in and piped in my AVCR and mounted solenoid.

Lots of other bits I probably missed too.

w0dMWFQ.jpg

Just another random picture:

ficc1JF.jpg

Got my oil/water lines hooked up for the turbo and fuel pressure regulator:

El4U156.jpg

Bumper on, grill on, carbon bonnet on and wheels on:

7I4tPKL.jpg

Of course saving the best till last, the first start up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0C3nrBAH8

Cheers :)