Ignition help, no spark.

Hi, basically my Starlet started making a whinning/whstle that grew louder after a few days driving, almost like an induction or turbo sound. It's a N/A, has had the timing belt done recently and all the pullys and belts are ok.

I went to start it and whatever was failing went, now there is no spark to fire it up. I'm just curious to find out of any rotational parts that spin with the engine that could have made the noise prior to it braking, the noise which definetly matched the engines speed when it was running.

Inicialy I suspected alternator or something in that region but now the sparks gone it has to be from ignition side. I'm just not 100% sure on what rotates, is there something in the distrabutor maybe? I must sound like a dumb ass but really just starting to take a real interest in my cars inner workings since becoming attached to my Starlet.

Anyway any info would be great. Thanks.

Everybody has to start somewhere :)

Inside the plastic cover or dizzy cap of the distributor theres a plastic rotor arm with some metal contacts on it, this rotates and makes a contact with a set of small metal lugs (points) which then lead to each respective ht lead.

The cap and arm can both be checked for corrosion and wear and replaced easily enough.

i would also look at any earths around that area and a set on the back of the inlet manifold these can cause the same issue

Yea my first thought was the alternator, water pump and power steering but ruled then out. I was thinking mainly about the distributor so that's good to know what goes on in there. Also I've put on the 5efe inlet manifold a good few months ago, after my starter went a while back, thought I'd change it over while the old one was off doing the starter. I do remember having some difficulty getting the earth wire on to the new inlet manifold, would problems there causes the sound I'd heard before it no not sparking? I'm sure I used so cried method getting the wire on as I had no bolt for it?

Thanks for info its greatly appreciated. Also not 100% on opening the distributor, any steps or cautions I need to take? Sure ill get the cap off, will that reveal the rotar arm?

set your engine timing first then unscrew your 2 12/13mm bolts of the distributer and slide out the distributer you will see on the shaft from the dizzy end a little lobe that fits in the camshaft twist that around so you can feel if it moves freely or is lumpy hindred in any way it shoulld be smoot

also twisting this shoulld make the injectors tik and spark if it does nothing then take the cap of the distributer you wont be able to do damage by just undoing the cap !!! check for a damaged roter and clean the 4 pins inside the cap

there is a screw holding the roter to the dizzy you can unscrew that and take of the roter to take the plate behind of and inspect

now its best to take a picture from the workings inside there so we can see if anything is up in there our turbo dizzy is a smal bit diferent but not much

have a look ere

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUAd5K3OQV4

Had the cap off and all looks clean and nice, getting a bit now dark so I don't want to go further without doing some homework, all looks very delicate. I'm sure I'll find my problem, just such an unusual distictive noise before it went.... like a worn bearing or spinning part. I will have a further look and thanks again your info is invaluable.