Replace crank, regrind old or change engine?

So looks like bottom end is gone on my EP91 NA. New shells did not help, and one of the cams has worn lobes at the corners. I have found a garage that has experience of these issues and they normally get the cranks sent off for a regrind. But they are encouraging me to get a whole engine change. I can see that would be a lot less hassle for them, but i'm not keen as what Starlet motor has not seen a lot of action... I don't want the same issue a year down the line on another engine.

Should I look to replace the cam at the same time as a regrind and new bearing shells? Reading another post I take it that after the crank comes back the measurements to determine bearing clearance are critical so Toyota send the right ones? Anything else that might need to be replaced due to damage? I'll try to get a video tomorrow of sound from engine. It's not pretty to the ears :sad:

I have a budget of about £600 ish for this. That should be enough you think?

Cheers all.

Edited by dazstarlet

You could get a nice low mileage 4EFE engine for around 100 quid, you might wanna get the steam seals done and a cambelt change if it needs it.

Then whatever the labour is if youre having a garage do it, say 8 hours, although it could be done in less than half of that.

Saves a lot of messing about.

As a mechanic thats what id advise :)