Ok, so I need some help in deciding the way forward with my gt and would appreciate people's thoughts.

I got a '92 gt which isnt in the best of conditions. No rust as far as i can see juat tatty and in need of a tidy up. It came with forged pistons and rods and a td04 kit as well as rays wheels and meister coilovers.

Since I've had it i have fitted a jam ecu and better wastegate which has been good but i want more. I do have a secondhand standalone to fit along with uprated fuel pump and bigger injectors.

My problem is, it needs new coilovers, the carbon bonnet needs renovation, it also could do with a respray. Engine looks like it needs oil seals doing at some point and there a whole host of supporting mods that i would do to match standalone and more boost like lsd with gearbox rebuild. When i total up sums i reckon it could be a good 5-7k spent to make it mint but is it really worth it?

Seen a couple of nice skylines round my way fot similar sort of money (plus money selling or breaking gt) so I'm tempted to move away from the gt as i can't ever see it being worth anywhere near the money i would spend on it.

People's thoughts?

I reckon everyone has considered throwing in the towel with modifying these cars at some point. What you expect to spend on certain mods always seems ends up almost double.

I've sunk well over £10k on mine and its still no where near where I want to be and its not even forged.

If you get the skyline and you want to mod that then expect the exact same situation. If keeping it stock it might be worth going the skyline route

Thanks for all of your comments so far.

I've had it a year and a half and other than a broken handbrake cable, seized and knocking coilovers and failed turbo it's not been much trouble so far

I got to admit i love driving it, especially round the country roads but it still is a bit of a shed truth be told.

newer?? ewww

Sorry. I forgot that Starlets are the best 4 wheel invention, even though their as old as the Egyptians :p

Thanks for all of your comments so far.

I've had it a year and a half and other than a broken handbrake cable, seized and knocking coilovers and failed turbo it's not been much trouble so far

I got to admit i love driving it, especially round the country roads but it still is a bit of a shed truth be told.

Not much trouble then :D :D

It all comes down to you at the end of the day pal. Their fun little cars when they work, but how much are you willing to pour into a 20 + year old car?

jeeeeez adam thats not enthusiast talk above there :p:p:p

Haha, just makes me laugh that unless its a "GTR", everything else is shite because it's either "newer" or "heavier".

Back in 1985-86 when the cars were designed safety wasn't as strict and there was no such thing as Euro NCAP ratings which manufacturers work towards, so of course weight is a thing the Starlet has going in it's favour.

I'm sure we've all seen some of the horrific "piles of metal" these cars become when they've been involved in a shunt.

Maybe you could just say I've evolved with the times :p

Adams just pissed he spent a fortune and never actually drove his car

You don't know what I paid for my parts, and neither do you know how much I made back when I sold them all. So don't be so quick to judge my friend :thumbsup:

End of the day it all comes down to personal opinion. Some may want to chuck £20k at a 20+ year old car, some may not because they might want to invest somewhere else. It's all a matter of preference. There's no right or wrong answer. I was only expressing my own personal opinion, hence why I ask how long he's had it and how much he's willing to pour into it.

Edited by AdamB