Coilovers Starlet Ep91

Hey guys :)

Does anyone know how long coiloves are to a Starlet Ep91?
If someone maybe can mesaure them? Front and rear.

Coilovers for starlet is way to expensive for me, so I will maybe mod some other coilovers to fit. I know that someone has mod Golf Mk1/Mk2 coilovers in a easy way, and I know that Volkswagen Polo 6N as the same lenght as Golf. But I want to know if there is much difference Starlet Ep91 and these i mentioned.

Big thanks
Marcus

I managed to do a set for the rear using mk1 golf coilovers. I have Cusco fronts.

I only did this as my shocks were on lowering springs and the ride was horrible! I will be changing to a full set of proper starlet coilovers before the car gets used properly (before anyone jumps down my throat lol)

You can use the springs etc you get with the coilovers however I had a set of Cusco rears that had bad dampers so I transferred all the rest of the stuff over. Modified the bottom mounting point to size and modified a set of powerflex bushes to suit

IMG_0916_zpscm6wiocf.jpg

A02AED41-4DFB-41F2-B71D-75CAFC7A7877_zps

DE9731FE-9107-45AC-BE6C-F27E651F6AF1_zps

Edited by Dean_mc88

I managed to do a set for the rear using mk1 golf coilovers. I have Cusco fronts.

I only did this as my shocks were on lowering springs and the ride was horrible! I will be changing to a full set of proper starlet coilovers before the car gets used properly (before anyone jumps down my throat lol)

You can use the springs etc you get with the coilovers however I had a set of Cusco rears that had bad dampers so I transferred all the rest of the stuff over. Modified the bottom mounting point to size and modified a set of powerflex bushes to suit

Cool, thanks. How much can you lower the car/rear? Have you test that?

Any pictures of the car with them mounted?

Do you think I can mod the Mk1/Polo coilovers and drive with them? I use the car as a daily

Colin has used his in anger and found that the lower mounting kept failing ( correct meIf I'm wrong Colin) however by modifying powerflex bushes and making them fit I think I have addressed that issue.

If you leave the helper spring in you can go rather low. I will take a picture of the car tomorrow but it's probably at its highest point at the minute

Edited by Dean_mc88

Starlet front wishbone ones however the pin is 12mm hole and should be about 10mm you can probably buy the pin but mines just to drive short distance for now.

I also just wanted to see if I could do it lol

Colin has used his in anger and found that the lower mounting kept failing ( correct meIf I'm wrong Colin) however by modifying powerflex bushes and making them fit I think I have addressed that issue.

If you leave the helper spring in you can go rather low. I will take a picture of the car tomorrow but it's probably at its highest point at the minute

Is it because you cut the bushes it will fail? I can understand that tho.

Shouldnt it be the same if you mod the powerflex bushes too?

Starlet front wishbone ones however the pin is 12mm hole and should be about 10mm you can probably buy the pin but mines just to drive short distance for now.

Could just drill the axle bracket holes to 12mm and use 12mm bolts?

Haha.. Maybe its better to buy lowered springs insted. Saw someone who had cut the lowering springs, and that Starlet went low as fuck, I dont want to dricve crazy low, just want some good fitment. Need to use the car on bad roads in the woods too :)

No because the powerflex bushes already come as two halfs with a pin the goes right through. As long as you leave enough meat on the outside the bush should be contained and no move out

Big thanks. Great answer. Need to take a think of this shit

Could just drill the axle bracket holes to 12mm and use 12mm bolts?

You could but then you can never go back to the original size and if you decide to use proper coilovers you will not be able to

Mount them as the bolt will have to be m10 and will rattle round in an m12 hole

indeed dean i used then in anger on shitty irish roads to see if they would brake but did not break

but indeed my rear bushes kept on coming loose so had to use large washers on the sides to keep them in

still didnt update the polo thread of mine with your pics must do that 1 off the days

Right another thing im wondering, could you press the standard bush from a starlet shock out and back into the polo coils?

Possibly however I haven't had a look at standard bushes only the Cusco ones that couldn't be removed.

You would have to make sure the bush comes out un damaged

Edit : no then lol

Edited by Dean_mc88