Scotts Daihatsu avanzato

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small update time! I got a dmack tarmac 195/50/13 fitted to my custom 7j wheel just to test fit. will be running these tyres at first. if i dont like how long they last i will move to a 225/45/13 R888.

I got a small list of parts to fit over my week off at the end of this month. Got brand new wishbones, subframe bushings, ARB bushings, wishbone bushings, adjustable rear panard rod, paint the underside of the car,

I also fitted some wide arches and I think they look ace with the wheels.

13343159_1209649839047813_18945223586568

13394041_1209858449026952_25146436391797

13418681_1209858209026976_23798068254436

I also imported and fitted a pair of facelift crystal headlights and clear side indicators. Looks alot better.

13445461_1213542098658587_78561951616380

Edited by mas12555

just read some more of the thread as you say corsa b coils can be made to fit then starlet to as they corsa b can be made to fit on a starlet !!

love those tyres going to be uber grippy :)

the suspension idea has changed a tad since i spoke to a good friend of mine. Rear end is having greddy lowering springs with twin adjustable gaz shocks. the front I am getting a custom set of twin adjustable gaz coilovers made. Adjustable preload and damping.

Im hoping the tyres last a fair while. Friend of mine gets 300 miles out of soft compound tyres. Thats rally stages only and shaving 2mm off the tyre before use. I am hoping to get 3000 miles out of my hard tyres which means i should only go through a set every year. If they wear too quick will have to go with the uber wide R888s

• 3 weeks later...

progress is pretty dead atm. converted the car to copen front hubs so i can run the bigger copen brakes with tarox discs and yellowstuff pads. only issue is they are 4x100 which means i have gone back a few flipped steps! I have to sell all my 4x110 wheels and get a set of 4x100 wheels. Convert the rear drums to 4x100 then run lenso 13x7.5 25et motorsport wheels with 225/45/13 wheels.

Taken a few steps back but its worth it for the better brakes. No one in the UK knew copen hubs fit, I only found out my stumbling across a japanese kei car tuning website.

as for other little things which are in the pipe line. DIY polycarbonate windows will be done sometime, stripping every last bit of uneeded weight, heating, sound deadening etc etc. aim is to get the car to 600kg which should be possible.

only worry with 225s is getting heat into them but with soft compound and my aggressive driving that may not be an issue. Front coilovers are being changed to BC copen coilovers as well since I am now going to run copen hubs. Just need to order all the parts so I can do the conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

Going slow as always. Havnt touched the car much as I have been on holiday. Although the other day I stripped the interior out and started to take the sound deadening off the floor pan.

Also manage to get a j-mode spoiler for car as well. Mega rare items and no one has one in England yet. Best way to describe it is that its like the livesport glanza spoiler but for a daihatsu. Also been close to buying a full livesport bodykit as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished work early today so I did some work. Few days back I bought an EK9 recaro for the passenger seat. I wanted something which will still support you but isnt hard to get into. I have ran two bucket seats before and its a pain when your passenger is too big for the seat.

The seat came with a set of recaro rails so I modified them to fit. I made new legs and made gusset plates to reinforce everything. I then brought out the worlds worst hobby welder to weld it all together. First time welded in about 5 years. I got good penetration but jesus christ I got a serious pigeon problem.

13962715_1256941517651978_48787014314086

Test fitted the rail again just to make sure it fitted correctly. Everything fit okay.

14022156_1257161344296662_28884150977117

Then gave the rail a quick paint.

13912780_1257161384296658_50745609846281

Really happy with the result. May be odd seats but they are two lovely seats.

13900336_1255334694479327_45055993900027

13882309_1255334741145989_57620285031582

• 4 weeks later...

car has been nothing but set backs. Need an external wastegate but theres only enough room to have it out my bonnet which I dont want. So am I having to build a boot mounted radiator which is going to be interesting.

This will mean my engine bay will have alot more room and will have enough room to do a compound turbo set up for when im forged.

annoyingly there really is no option. Only room at the moment for a wastegate is on the left of the manifold. cant go down as my subframe and oil scavange pump is there, not enough room to go back into the downpipe. Only option is out of the bonnet which will mean no track days for me. With no radiator I got so much room for a better flowing downpipe, external wastegate and all the pipework. Plus there will be enough room for a bigger turbo for the future. The engine bays on these Avanzatos are horrific. They are smaller than a classic mini.

I already got the water pump and water pump controller to do a rear mounted radiator. all I need is big twin NACA vents in my rear side windows and one twin NACA vent in the roof and the air flow is sorted. Will ofcourse need a big hole cut out in my bootlid and channel air from the radiator through that hole. I would do it so the air vents underneath but I have been told the air underneath is too high pressure to do so. Need the air coming out into a low pressure area according to a few motorsport fellows.

EDIT: I was using a cheapy bosch water pump does the job but I wanted to fail safe my set up. So I removed my thermostat now and went for a davis craig water pump and controller. Water pump is enough to run large capacity hi revving V8s so will deal with the amount of pipework easily. Bonus is the water pump/fan controller is nuts! Pulses the pump when cold so the engine warms up quicker, automatically adjusts the power of the pump to keep the engine at a constant temperature, fan control unit, warning alarms, get to pick what temperature you want the engine to run at and the best bit is the controller has a function where if you turn the engine off it will carry on flowing water until the temperature is low enough.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/electric-water-pumps/davies-craig-ewp130-water-pump-digital-controller-combo

Edited by mas12555
  • 2 weeks later...

MASSIVE CHANGE OF PLANS!

Been researching this for months but always thought sourcing the parts would be impossible. Alot of Daihatsu subframes are bolt in. Which means I can bolt in a 1.3 yrv turbo engine into my car. Awesome yes? But my gearbox wont fit. Only gearbox which will fit is a sirion 4WD gearbox. Just managed to source the gearbox and transfer box which means the little daihatsu is now having a 1.3 conversion.

All exciting stuff. The 1.3 engine is about the same weight as the 660cc unit which is nice. Also is 138bhp standard so with a front mount and a remap should see me at more than enough power for what the drivetrain can cope with.

This also means I dont have to mess around with a radiator in the boot or external wastegates for the time being. standard turbo will be more than enough power.

Watch this space over the next few months. collecting gearbox/transfer box next weekend. next month should be buying a YRV turbo

Just had someone rain on my parade but it wont stop anything. The 1.3 subframe wont fit my car and the engine is a very tight fit. This means I may need to cut away at chassis legs (dont want to do that) and also means that I need to make custom engine and gearbox mounts.

Not sure if you kno but the YRV turbo engine is just a yaris 1.3 engine with a wee turbo strapped to it.

Never knew that! good capeable engines. few mods and you can get 250bhp out of them. Would like to keep the 660cc engine because well its 660cc and that makes such a funny car but lag is such a big issue with them and forge kits cost silly money.