Replaced Valve stem oil seals but still smoke, Please help!

Right just spent the last week taking the head off my glanza, changed the valve stem oil seals (victor rezinz ones) cars all back together now, fresh headgasket, but its still smoking, its not as bad as it was before, as soon as u give it a little boost, then let of the throttle for a few secs then put your foot back on again u get a puff of smoke out the back. its not as bad as it was before the seals were done but its till smoking, anyone got any suggestions? could piston rings or turbo cause similar symptoms as valve stem seals? im running a gt engine with about 85k miles on it, Td04, jam ecu running .8 (rarely run over, never over 1 bar) car runs very well, but it smokes a bit. turbo core was replaced about 4000 miles ago

I fitted a Chinese turbo core, to be honest it's pretty good I don't think it's that, valve guides sound like they could be the problem, didn't think of this. Would explain having similar symptoms to stem seals. Can the guides be replaced? I have a PCV valve fitted, it's not blocked but could this still cause it to smoke with a td04?

I put it to the test again on my drive home from work, it's only after boosting it, drive off of boost its fine. I've just got rid of the PCV valve and replaced it with a breather but I'm thinking turbo

im having this issue, its fine no smoke on startup, no smoke driving or coming on boost but if you say do 40mph in 3rd let the revs drop and then touch throttle a big cloud of greyish smoke comes from the exhaust, if i sit revving the car no smoke can be seen from the back of the car and idle shows no smoke either.

i dont think its valve seals as you said it doesnt smoke when started up, anyone else have any ideas what it could be?

• 1 month later...

Just replaced my turbo, fitted a melett TD04 core at a cost of £170 and still having the same problem! All this time and effort and getting no where, so far replaced PCV valve with a propper breather, new valve seals, new head gasket, new turbo core. Running out of ideas now, so frustrating!

I'll get a compression tester and have a go, does it matter which way round the water lines go on the turbo? Also I've read about having a restricter on the oil feed to the turbo, can anyone shead any light on this?

Edited by paddy

Water lines don't matter either way around, personally I've never ran coolant to any of my turbos.

As above, next thing I would do is a compression test. it would be a long shot maybe but if you could get hold of a bore scope have a look down see what you can see? but compression test should tell you a bit.

I know it's frustrating but don't give up you'll find it eventually!

Journal bearings dont really need restrictiors, escpecially on a new, journal bearing turbo.starlets dont really run high oil pressure and the oil feed i imagine is around 4an so that provides a restriction.

Have you checked your oil drain setup? Only blockages? Uphill areas? Tight bends?

I was digging through the forum last night, found a post with my same problem, he said it turned out to be piston rings. Shame really as the car runs very well. My oils drain set up is all fine, I'll fit some rings and replace bottom end bearings at the same side to be on the safe side, thanks for the help everyone. I'll update the post once fitted