airbag mechanism/ new steering wheel help

Recently got a standard wheel after the old one on the car was rubbish. After removing the quick release it was just a case of fitting the wheel, but obviously it's from a different year model or something because the wheel doesn't fit with the airbag mechanism

Anyway, is it alright to remove the mechanism and just fit the wheel? Not too bothered about having the airbag, just want to get the wheel on

Any help is appreciated

85447F5F-0FCD-4B8D-AF73-71F0551E65BD_zps

A 1996 wheel won't plug into a 1999 model the air bag stuff is all different. The wheel will fit just not the airbag connections.

I had a feeling it would be, looks like I'll have to get a different wheel or just see what happens when I put this one on haha

I had a feeling it would be, looks like I'll have to get a different wheel or just see what happens when I put this one on haha

you will get in on but you will have to take away the airbag squib and a couple of more little bits. But then you have no airbag and no horn which isn't good for an MOT.

You could also get a 1998/99 standerd starlet wheel from a SR, GLS or S model and it will all plug in however there not leather and look/feel awfull. But alot easier to get hold of and it would work as a tempory fix untill you got yourself a 1998/99 spec Glanza one.