For the more serious drivers!!!

Someone somewhere must be able to do a gearset cheaper than that. Has anyone contacted a manufacturer of custom gearsets? Would maybe be an idea to try and find someone willing to make say 10 gearsets at 1.5k each or there abouts? Its the only thing bothering me about my build as i know the gearbox is the weak point. Limits what power i can go to really. Id seriously look at putting some money in to get something made aslong as there was a few others.

You aren't paying for just a gearset though, it's a proper sequential transmission, proper motorsport stuff.. I want one! badly!

Pretty certain the price of £4650 + vat is your start point, from there you'll probably need to have it assembled, then I guess you'll need a shift mechanism, gear indicator. Then to use it properly you're going to need to have some decent management that can be programmed for flat shifts, and if it's really clever clutchless down changes with auto blip.

Money isn't an object once you've decided to spend £7k on a gearbox for a car that's worth, at most, £4k? Even with the gearbox.

You'd hope that there would be a market for used ones should you ever need to sell it, but I can't imagine it'll be easy to shift (so to speak).

Still want one.. One day.

Samsonas make a gearset and they come highly rated

I know those who use/used quaife who don't rate them ( for big power )

If say for 400 ish hp motor these would be grand

Phil

Torque is what would kill these, they are meant to be pretty strong. Not sure how the internals differ from the kit used for the K20, but if you have a look on YouTube there's a K swapped MR2 with 900 'American' HP, so probably about 700 real world HP, the gearbox seems to handle it well.

Perhaps if you're chasing dyno numbers the quaife isn't for you, and at that price point, I doubt very much we'll ever find out!

As phil stated I've heard of people using quiafe and then still going wrong. Pulsar gtir quaife gearboxes for example. There needs to be something made anyway as 3rd gear for c52 is now discontinued. Surely someone can make something in the middle. The 7k+ ud need for a quiafe box is rediculous. Who is going to spend that on a gearbox? My thinking is that there must be enough people to warrent trying to get a gearset made? Or even a couple of gears ie 2nd and 3rd

Samsonas may come down in price for their gearset since this is now released

Phil

Samsonas are very good. I found there kit which they designed for the C150 many years ago. It is however now discontinued and the ratio's were abit too short for most things.

Ive seen the aftermath of sourcing "cheap" gearsets...

If quaife make a set... Then buy a quaife.

Quaife are the boys, lets be honest...

Id buy one of those boxes but i wouldn't say they are the boys. People like drenth / modena / xtrac are.

After all quaife ATB's are poo for anything other than normal road use, so its good to see the box doesn't rely on using their diff too.

You aren't paying for just a gearset though, it's a proper sequential transmission, proper motorsport stuff.. I want one! badly!

Pretty certain the price of £4650 + vat is your start point, from there you'll probably need to have it assembled, then I guess you'll need a shift mechanism, gear indicator. Then to use it properly you're going to need to have some decent management that can be programmed for flat shifts, and if it's really clever clutchless down changes with auto blip.

Money isn't an object once you've decided to spend £7k on a gearbox for a car that's worth, at most, £4k? Even with the gearbox.

You'd hope that there would be a market for used ones should you ever need to sell it, but I can't imagine it'll be easy to shift (so to speak).

Still want one.. One day.

This sums it up perfectly.

Edited by RobSR