saxo power steering setup in starlet

Anyone ever done a saxo power steering pump setup onto a starlet steering rack

im thinking about fitting a power-steering rack into the gt and as its running a 1e lump i cant use the typical power-steering setup from a glanza or gt

so i thought this might be a handy option anyone ever tried it or anyone running it and how did ya get on with it

I run one on mine works very good. Pretty simple todo

any info on it shaun how did ya get the wiring done and hows it work ie.. did ya have to get hydraulic pipes made or what way did ya work the piping

Am sure it's been done before mate I seen it on a build thread just can't remember who's

i was hoping that i know i'll have to swap out rack and column but the wiring and plumbing is where i am gonna get stuck

Pretty sure Morgey did this.

i may scope his thread

Im using as mr-s pump but not wired it up yet.

Should be able to have it speed variable and have different settings if wired in correctly.

Rob H used a saxo pump

is there much difference better pump lasting like or was it just to keep toyota parts

I had read that the saxo pump could be quite light at times, not from everyone but the odd person. Im not sure what options you have for varying the steering weight of it which is why i opted for the mr-S one.

It is a bit larger and the tank is fixed to the top of it, whereas the saxo one is separate so allows more variety for mounting/hiding out the way. But for what i was after the adjustablity of the toyota unit won me over.

On the saxo it has a separate loom for the pas so I just took that out aswell. Just retro fit the loom into the starlet one although i put a switch into mine which I'll control via the ecu at some point. Oem starlet high pressure line fits the pump fine. Low pressure line I just used the starlets hard line then attached some generic pas hose with a jubilee clip to the saxo pump. They do 2 pumps one with a build in fluid tank and one with a remote one. I used the remote on as it gives abit more freedoms of spare and mounted it in the driver side wing. Job done i done the whole thing I a public car park with basic tools and no guide in like 3 hours so pretty straight forward really

I had read that the saxo pump could be quite light at times, not from everyone but the odd person. Im not sure what options you have for varying the steering weight of it which is why i opted for the mr-S one.

It is a bit larger and the tank is fixed to the top of it, whereas the saxo one is separate so allows more variety for mounting/hiding out the way. But for what i was after the adjustablity of the toyota unit won me over.

i was looking at the pump with the reservoir attached as i could keep them both together as for weight my car weighs around 750 800kgs

i was going to relocated the pump to beside the battery i have a plastic grommet there so fitting it should be simple enough

On the saxo it has a separate loom for the pas so I just took that out as well. Just retro fit the loom into the starlet one although i put a switch into mine which I'll control via the ecu at some point. Oem starlet high pressure line fits the pump fine. Low pressure line I just used the starlets hard line then attached some generic pas hose with a jubilee clip to the saxo pump. They do 2 pumps one with a build in fluid tank and one with a remote one. I used the remote on as it gives abit more freedoms of spare and mounted it in the driver side wing. Job done i done the whole thing I a public car park with basic tools and no guide in like 3 hours so pretty straight forward really

i was going to hard wire mine loom into the starlet so when the car was started the pump only was active so i can use the standard lines from starlet power steering rack i may go hunting now for a rack and gt column as ive done a full swap non power steering to power steering on the 94 4efe starlet i built a while back and noticed the column i had fitted was too short to mate up to the standard rack

im going to go for the pump with built on reservoir to keep it neat and tidy

Mine not having a turbo in the way gave me more room at the front which is where mines gone.

20160408_183828.jpg

Just bolted up to the front crash bar with some stainless angle iron.

20160408_183813.jpg

20160513_162808.jpg

One line was just a bit of fuel hose i think and the other was a custom made one for £25 as i dont have any of my old stuff laying around any more.

cheers mate that's a great help i can see how its all done now so the feed pipe needs to be a hard line return can be softer piping then

trip to the scrappy for me then so i may hut for a gt column though there scarce enough now theres been that many broke ep91 rack will fit as that's what i used in my white ep80