auto to manual ecu conversion, which route to take

Hey all, so ive decided to start a proper thread on this to hopefully get to the bottom of this! ive been busy converting my green gt over to manual and have so far been happily swapping all the mechanical bits over, but now its time to tackle electronics so its time to get some advice.

The original plan was to simply slap the manual ecu from my old '95 into it, but ive found that the autos are 3 plug, so ive now got 3 options, as follows:

I've read here and there that you can just leave the auto ecu in and bridge something somewhere to trick it into always thinking its in drive, but this can cause it to idle like shit, so id rather not go down that route as i want this car to be as close to flawless as possible.

I can have a harness made up or even repin the standard loom to 2 plug setup, and just slap the manual ecu on there, though i dont know if all the wires are the same and are just in a diferent configuration, or if the auto ecu has filthy auto only wires,

Finally, i was wondering if i could just throw a glanza 3 plug manual ecu on there, if the wires are all the same, though thatd be rediculously convenient so probably isnt the case lol.

I could really do with advice on this, its an area where my knowlege on these starlets is still pretty lacking!

Leave the auto ECU in and just bridge the two big pins in the plug that used to plug in to the gearbox. This is for the starter motor only and doesn't effect the idle.

You will have the OD light on the dash flash as the auto box is no longer there so just pull the bulb. Have you sorted the ignition barrel out yet so you can get the key out?

Leave the auto ECU in and just bridge the two big pins in the plug that used to plug in to the gearbox. This is for the starter motor only and doesn't effect the idle.

You will have the OD light on the dash flash as the auto box is no longer there so just pull the bulb. Have you sorted the ignition barrel out yet so you can get the key out?

Oh, is it something controlling the starter, or can i just put a manual starter on it to solve that problem? I compared the manual and auto starters and couldnt see any immediate differences.

no not yet, ive been meaning to look at that, ill probably just pinch the ignition barrel gubbins from my white shell and throw the auto pushbutton job in that with the button jammed or removed, as i dont care about the asthetics of the white one lol its only for me!

Edited by Chops

Starter are the same. It's just a safty feature in the auto box stopping you from starting it in gear. You just need to bypass the feature so you can start the car.