tdo4l-13t >>> tfo35hm HYBRID

hey lads i have a question for the td experts i have the 2 turbos mentioned above and want to make a hybrid out of it

plan is to use the tdo4l core and compressor side take out the turbine shaft and fit the tfo35hm shaft in its place when thats done. fit the td core back in to the tfo35hm exhaust housing ???? is that going to work ??

This is what I am running on my gt

Liam at midland turbo built it for me with an 11blade billet wheel

Mapped at td with 266hp at 1.4bar

Pulls very well, spool of a tf but near power of a td

question collin....can the tf035 exhaust housing be modified to fit the td04l?

if so, this should produce similar results to what you have planned, be more balanced and less work required

didnt someone do a comparison messing around with the back ends sometime ago?

kbond should have benefited from the better flowing billet wheel----which you wont be doing as part of your project

yes androo used a tfo35hm housing and bored it out to fit a tdo4 core + tdo4 turbine wheel

i want to keep the smaller tf0 turbine shaft for the uber fast spool might look into billet stock tdo4 wheel

on the compressor side the inducer are same size almost td04/tfo35 the exducer on the compressor wheel tho is a good bit bigger on the tdo4 so should aid spool even more if i did my reading right ??

Edited by 5e colin

that 4cm2 tf035 exhaust housing approximates an ar of 0.25.....vs the stock td04l a/r of 0.41 (6cm2)

that in itself is a massive drop in housing size....hence faster spool (and obviously restricted top end, but that is not your aim here)

for the simplicity of it...it maybe your most economical option for experimentation purposes

the billet wheel,,,depending on size can improve flow slightly or cause an imbalance/choke

based on the leaderboard:

1) billet td04l makes approximately 298/303bhp at TD running 20psi (based on 7 results)

2) td04l makes approximately 280/296bhp at TD running 20psi (based on 6 results)

so not much difference there really for the billet wheel----maybe 5% more flow....i suspect the 6cm2 back end of the td04l is a restriction at this point

3) kbond previously made 203bhp at 13psi using the tf035 at TD (was it stock at this point??)...but above with the billet wheel added the car made 266bhp at 20psi...so boost has been turned up as well in this equation (specs of billet wheel unknown)----------according to the build tread he gained 1000rpm better response and lost about 17bhp compared to the td04l @1 bar at TD

4) ct9 hybrid made 254bhp at 17psi at TD...while a blitz k1 made 218bhp @ 15psi at TD---these are just for reference sake

now for the estimation stuff (guess work lol)....so not knowing the maximum limits of the stock tf035...let's say its capable of 1.2/1.3bar max,,,it could possible create 220/230bhp...and a stock td04l combined with tf035 4cm2 housing may be around that same limit 230/250bhp due to the 4cm2 housing but bigger turbine wheel and you benefit from the better response (possibly 500/1000rpm) vs a stock td04l

assuming each set up is properly tuned (ignition and fuel)

well...just throwing some thoughts at you 5e colin

thanks for the write up , i will only be running 1.1bar max on my boosted GI block i am not worried about choking up top as i had a stock tfo35hm before with my acis and pulled really hard to the limiter with no drop of when acis opened

thats why i thought using the tdo4l setup with the bigger exduser on compressor side will make it spool even faster the ultimate pocket rocket turbo

is your gi block (4efe n/a) high compression?

if so, i'd for sure use the td04l with tf035 back end at minimum for the 16psi you plan to run

with the high compression you shouldn't lose much response over the stock tf035,,,with the possiblity of making slightly more power

• 3 weeks later...

Whats it like

Feels pretty good in the 4paw, minimal lag, powers there when you need it. Off boost driving is decent too. 0.6 seems safe enough for now its just spring pressure. Got a lightweight fly to fit soon.

Keep looking at 9.1 Wisecos..

I ran 4efe on ct9 and a hybrid both without an intercooler lol so if you want to talk about no lag hahaha

Just hoping tf will be a decent jump from ct9 I will be running 0.8 on 100ps 4efe.

Edited by richardc9052

Hmmm well I can say this ....

Im now running an internally stock 5EFE 9.5:1 comp with a TD04-13T with a 4cm rear housing machined to suit the td04 exhaust wheel and it is simply awesome. But the only drawback is that

I can only run 10psi using pump 98 gas. Still goes very well though.

Can only imagine how good it would be using E85 and 15 pounds.

I should do some data logs on spool. I know I get full 10 pounds before 3k

Hmmm well I can say this ....

Im now running an internally stock 5EFE 9.5:1 comp with a TD04-13T with a 4cm rear housing machined to suit the td04 exhaust wheel and it is simply awesome. But the only drawback is that

I can only run 10psi using pump 98 gas. Still goes very well though.

Can only imagine how good it would be using E85 and 15 pounds.

I should do some data logs on spool. I know I get full 10 pounds before 3k

are you sure ??

i can go over 14 psi in high compression

• 1 month later...

Rightio then lads ive done some data logs on spool up with this 4CM TD04 hybrid im running.

For those that dont know my setup its a rebuilt N/A 5EFE completely stock 9.5:1 comp. Turbosmart 38mm External waste gate. 4EFE Intake manifold.

It runs a GFB Atom bleed valve (very basic) so this is about as slow/ linear to build boost as your going to get with no waste gate trickery at all.

The run was performed in 3rd gear, foot flat to the floor from 2000 rpm till redline 6K

1 psi 2000 rpm

3 psi 2120 rpm

4 psi 2250 rpm

5 psi 2380 rpm

6 psi 2410 rpm

8 psi 2560 rpm I might just add that using a bleed valve the gate at this point is almost all the way open as it going to get. So if it were using an EBC you could still have the gate completely closed if you wanted making use of all the exhaust gas

9 psi 2620 rpm making it spool faster again. But Ive chosen the bleed valve because its more gradual and better for traction. (still awesome response on the street)

10 psi 2950 rpm