Hey ya guys just wondering how many revs your sitting at when doing 100kph. I'm doing about 3900 in fifth which seems really high. car is glanza v 1996 sitting on 17's with 205x40 tires. Just want to know if this is normal or if something is different. Ie does it have a different dif possibly or is the counter reading wrong or something else? Use the vehicle for 1000km plus road trips. Want to make sure car is not over working and burning to much fuel. Cheers

It does sound pretty high. Driving on very smooth asphalt engine noise is definitely there, unlike my golf GTI which is noticeably far quieter (probably because its a golf) but when the golf is at 3900 it is far louder than starlet. Is it possible that the counter is having problems? It seems to read fine at idle approx 1000rpm. At 50kph in 4th gear reads around 2100rpm. Ive had a look round on the net, found that normal c56 gearbox has fifth ratio of 0.815 and diff ratio of 3.72. However have seen that the c52 box is a common straight swap. This box 3rd and 4th ratios are different but fifth is still the same. correct? If so i dont give a toss which box is in it, my question is are the diff ratios different? Has someone stuck a GT c52 box in my glanza v changing the diff ratio of 3.72 to something higher? say like 4.3? If this is the case I imagine its one hell of a job to swap out which Im really not keen for. Hope that im wrong with the possible changes in gearboxes. Is there an easy way of telling which box I have? and is there an easy way of telling if I have an after market diff with a high ratio? really appreciate the knowledge and quick responses. Cheers

does you rev counter needle bobble about or move smoothly as you accelerate?

what does it say at cold start?...what does it say at limiter?

i think around 2500rpm in 5th gives about 80km/h-----can someone verify that???---my car is not daily anymore., so that's based off my aging memory lol

Is there an easy way to test it, mate has a hoist I can throw it up on if need be, but would prefer to do it with a multimeter, have had a look around on Youtube but for the glanza seems difficult could anyone upload a clip that works for the starbo or photos of their own vehicle with it being done. Im pretty sure you need a hertz reading function. Doing the math with tire diameter, I know I should be getting 2900rpm. Once again thanks for the knowledge. cheers

Reverse is far right down pretty sure its a five speed unless there is some special shift like on European cars ie lift the gear stick up or push down to access another gear. Sorry unfamiliar with a timing light could you please provide more detail cheers.

Ahh definitely a 5 speed then 6 speed is up to the left.

Timing light is used to set the timing, you clip it to the ht lead and it flashes every time that cylinder fires. However some timing lights also have a digital readout that displays the Rpm.

Its an easy way to check the rev counter agaisnt actual rpm