Crankshaft big end journals measuring over 40mm ?

Hi guys,

Gotten round to measuring my crankshaft and I got the following numbers:

No.1 = 40.045mm

No.2 = 40.048mm

No.3 = 40.048mm

No.4 = 40.043mm

The limits are 39.985mm - 40.000mm so how is this so ? Had my micrometer calibrated the day before in a machine shop and double checked my measurements which came in at +/- 0.0002" of the originals.

Any help appreciated

Even if it is calibrated, it will be calibrated with a tolerance. It might be that tolerance you're measuring.

Ah I see so for example the standard they used might be 1" +/- .04mm ?

I've ordered plastigauge anyway so that will confirm if I'm within spec or not

Edited by SpikeyJp_68

ya i dunno where adam got that from think he is swapping them around wit varniers or so easy mistake tolerance should be no more then 0.0000# gose even lower in the uk size inch tingy 0.000000 i think it is

if my tools ever go of from ware ant te3ar i replace them with new after al there " precision tools"

ave a look true this link

http://www.mitutoyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/E11003_2_QuickGuide.pdf

I was looking at getting a brand new digital one but they're quite expensive to use once/ twice.

It's only 0.04mm over which is a lot in oil clearance terms I know but physically it's a tiny tiny measurement so it could be their standard that's out.

HHHHHMMMMMM NO thats like fitting sandpaper between the bearings and crank

tbh a new 1 will last you till you are dead ( diy use ) amd no not that expencive ( 100£ 150 ) gets good 1v for life

if thats to much get it build

0.4 is not o.ooo4 !!!!!v

Edited by 5e colin

HHHHHMMMMMM NO thats like fitting sandpaper between the bearings and crank

tbh a new 1 will last you till you are dead ( diy use ) amd no not that expencive ( 100£ 150 ) gets good 1v for life

if thats to much get it build

0.4 is not o.ooo4 !!!!!v

I know it's very large in oil clearance terms either too much or too little clearance but if you were to put 2 lines on a piece of paper measuring 0.04mm it would be tiny.

Plastigauge will give me a good idea of the oil clearances. If I'm still unsure, I'll send it to the machine shop and ask them to get me bearings suited for my crankshaft with or without a regrind

Try an keep the units and decimal points correct lads.

It's either inches or mm. Don't mix them as even conversions aren't 100% correct.

Personally try measure in inches because this is usually tighter than the mm specified tolerance from my experience :thumbsup:

0.04mm is not a lot, bearing in mind that 3 decimal places is about the best you can measure to, anymore than 3 decimal places is rarely significant unless you're in Aviation, Medical or Medical industries.