Help please. Engine ticking noise when accelerating

I've just bought my first starlet after looking for a good 5 months I finally decided on one. After only a day or two of ownership I realised that when I accelerate I get a pretty strong ticking coming from the engine. I checked the oil level and that's fine so my next assumption is the timing belt as I have no idea when it was last replaced. Just wondering if I could get some opinions on this and if anyone knew what it is. It's not rod knock its much lighter than that and it's only under acceleration so when idling it doesn't do it and also when cruising at a speed it doesn't do it. Any help would be appreciated as I would love to get it sorted 🙂

Crank Pulley perhaps? I had something similar on my Mini Cooper S, and it was he pulley.

If the dampening rubber fails they can make a nasty noise. Difficult to check without removing it though.

Exhaust gasket leaking? That can make some odd noises if it's passing.

The manifold is pretty manky I plan on replacing it at some point anyway so I'll try that as it seems easier

Crank Pulley perhaps? I had something similar on my Mini Cooper S, and it was he pulley.

If the dampening rubber fails they can make a nasty noise. Difficult to check without removing it though.

I'll try to have a look and if worst comes to worst I'll take it to a garage

• 2 years later...