why did they stop starlet turbos at 1999?

i guess that toyota wanted to create a new model that was more inkeeping with their long term design strategy

anyway the starlet name had been around longer then myself (its been in use since the 70's i believe), i guess they though in their infinite wisdom that it was time for a more 21st century name.

ALSO would you drive in a 2008 or whatever year starlet turbo if it looked like a yaris I wouldnt... the design doesn't inspire me to name it a starlet...

by the above statement i mean no offense to anyone currently owning a yaris...i have seen sum tastely modded ones and these are very nice imo

anyone imported these over then?

Japan

The Japanese Vitz RS (European Yaris T-Sport) was introduced in 2001 and was powered by a 1.5 L (108 hp) engine, shared with the Echo, Vios, as well as the Scion xA. The 1.5 L T Sport was marketed as 'more fun to drive' than the base models because of a sportier suspension and extra power compared to the 1.3 L (90 hp) model. Later, the Vitz RS was modified by TRD (Toyota Racing Developments), and was fitted with a turbo-charger. A limited run was produced with a power output of around 120 kW (180 bhp) and a 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) time of just 7 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Vitz

hey Si, this may sound stupid... but you can import a car over ten years old WITHOUT a "model report" (what are these by the way?) does that law stand for ANY car? im curious because my mate wanted to bring an old Dodge Charger over before-

Cheers

Luke