My first Car.......Ep91 Glanza called Scarlet

• 2 weeks later...

Did a few niggly bits on the car this week, the black door surrounds were bugging me being faded and chipped. Pain the ass to do but satin blacked them back to how they should be.

plqhTlYFj

Helps dad trained as a panel beater many years ago lol. 

Decided to take the ol girl off the road for the winter, will just be covering it up on the front grass to keep away the salt. So took the opportunity to take pics of the evo and starlet together for the last time this year. We've booked a local show in a few weeks time but he'll be on VIP so won't be together unfornutaly.pluskRmvj

powoSZnrj

Looks so dwarfed against the Evo haha

Next niggly little thing is the bumper fitment, absolutely doing my nut in every time I walked out to it.

polMj4Ujj

Its the huge great front mount someones put on it, the bumper is literally pressed into every edge of the cooler and pipework. And there's no movement at all in the pipes as they're touching the chassis legs! 

So bumper off, makes a good coffee table lol

poFLRj6uj

Much to everyone's hate, more of the bumper cut off and trimmed to fit the cooler and pipework. I'll get some pics of the fitment tomorrow, I'm only updating this now as I'm a student and midnight is best time of the day lol. 

Cars currently got the cam cover cover off and being prepped for some paint, thinking just wrinkle black with gold reflectove heat tape facing the manifold

Quick spec list of what I've worked out is on the car. It got sold to me as, tatty bodywork nice steering wheel and stainless exhaust. And that was it, but when i first looked at it had way more than that.

Engine

Std 4efte (had sump off and they're definitely std rods unfornutaly)

Zisco ramhorn manifold

Zisco screamer elbow

Meshed CT9

HKS adjustable actuator

HKS intercooler kit (only guessing as its similar to the evo HKS pipework)

Blitz Nur Spec full system

Possibly Blitz ignition leads but not 100%

Half size civic rad with slimline fan

Gearbox

OEM LSD box

Uprated clutch (feels very grabby not quite 6 paddle like I've felt in the evo. Might just be me, I've only really driven a Clio diesel lol)

Brakes

Std discs front and rear

Mintex pads front, std rear

Suspension

Tein springs 

Std dampers

Cusco (??) Underbody braces, I'll take a pic when its next in the air

Whiteline adjustable roll bars front and rear

OEM 3 point rear strut brace

Adjustable panhard rod

Interior

Genuine Bride drivers seat

Full 98 spec interior

KODE suede wheel

Genuine broadway mirror

Genuine HKS boost gauge

Exterior

Genuine Borbet RS 15x6.5 ET35 (I think)

195/50 Toyo T1R (not a fan have to say)

OEM front splitter

Its still running in KM's just ticked over to 180,000km earlier actually!! Not sure if the 112mph limiter has been removed. Don't really take it that high anyway tbh, but there is a chance its got a P&P ECU it just feels too quick haha.

7 hours ago, akyakapotter said:

looking good bud mine dose that with the bumper need to get the dremel out at some point when i can be bothered. 

keep up the good work. 

Cable ties ftw, takes 2secs to take the front bumper off :p. Jks I need to find some bolts lol

Much better pic of how she sits now, doesn't look too bad a car now.pmQac1XTj

Tried some wheel wax on the wheels, you know you're anal with car cleaning when the wheels bead

plQfkStTj

To think this was it 2 months ago, nothing but elbow greasepoJ4tKhFj

I'm heading back to uni in a few weeks time, Scarlet will be taken off the road then. Might order a cheeky forged engine package to stick under the bed over winter tho.......

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. I'm back at uni, cars currently layed up at my dad's under its cover now. 

I made it to a local show the week before I left, she's boost cutting like an absolute bitch now it's slightly cooler tho. So much that I had to adjust the actuator when I got to the show! Still pulled away from 2 VXR's and my grandads evo tho :peYkBqn.jpg

F2rshd.jpg

TUKuGC.jpg

fU0un7.jpg

She certainly attracted attention,  despite being surrounded by rather expensive classic Ford's!

Little bit on the old man's evo, to our surprise it won Best Car Of Show. A lot of hard work paid off, spent my childhood cleaning and helping build engines for this car. Definitely part of the family, even has its own room in the house lol. 

ULsANC.jpg

Now the bad news. Scarlet needs A bit of work before the next MOT, boot floor is rotten and passenger side CV joints are completely knackered are the main issues. I've got a plan, some won't like it. I'm going to flat floor the boot, cut the complete wheel well out the boot and replace with a sheet of aluminium painted white

Cheers, Jack

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm a poor student :D, will be ordering the EP top mount CT9 manifold combo, genuine Tial 38mm external wastegate and a walboro 255 pump next week. Potentially if a P&P ecu comes up cheap enough I'll chuck that on as well, and run 1bar safely but if not 0.8 it is on the standard ecu

• 2 months later...

Been speaking with the man himself Sacha, sorted out a new turbo kit as it really needed an external wastegate as the boost cut was pretty horrendous. I quite like the CT9 turbo, nice and quick spooling so decided that was staying, went for something different though.....top mount setup in stainless steel.

poaiX5KDj

Mounted to a genuine Tial 38mm wastegate on a vband. Have braided oil and water lines made too, as well as the the oil return pipe in stainless steel.

pmfs5UkOj

Honestly this kit is exceptional quality, it's almost criminal to put heat through it and make it change colour lol

7 hours ago, akyakapotter said:

Looks good dude the one thing I had done when I got a wepr kit was had stainless flanges added instead of the mild as you'll notice over time they rust. Now to get it on chop chop lol.

It's Christmas though lol, could've probably had it all on by now tbh. But i decided to drag the Cavalier out of storage and give that a cleanpm8NyCfUj

Glanza abandoned in the naughty corner for all the issues its given, I even kick it as I walk pass lol. I'll give it some love when it's capable of pulling itself off the wet and muddy grass

So thought I'd mock up the turbo kit, I was concerned that the down pipe wouldn't clear the bottom rad hose, it's got a civic rad but I've no idea which one as the it clears :D

pm2eLYKsj

poKbCGUWj

pmNSV1Kfj

poQz9lYuj

Just gotta get the actuator off, wastegate welded up and the clock the turbo for the oil and water lines

• 5 weeks later...

Update time, semester finished at Uni and I quit my job (bunch of assholes) so now I have ~2 weeks off till uni starts up again. Made a large order general servicing parts with ID Workz. All the gaskets needed, calliper rebuild kits, Walbro 255, some fresh Miller's CRX oil for the rather tired gearbox. And set about getting stuck in on Scarlet 

With the top mounted turbo, you have to rotate the core of the turbo so the oil drain is at the bottom. Not a big job, just a pain. All done though

IMG-20190124-WA0001.thumb.jpg.e8376a33996733b5a1c4566e3c0e62ea.jpg

IMG-20190125-WA0002.thumb.jpg.a6fe699bae3319dea12f44ee4cfbe638.jpg

All bolted up in place finally now, all genuine gaskets used (yes my bank account has taken a bloody good beating, almost £2k this winter on Scarlet, scary once you start adding it up)

IMG-20190126-WA0008.thumb.jpg.208b74fe9ff301e74e2f2530281fdb45.jpg

Braided oil and water lines ran

IMG-20190126-WA0009.thumb.jpg.183fa2c1a46487cddf98719f05ef5c7e.jpg

Oil return and the brace put on

IMG-20190126-WA0007.thumb.jpg.85ef0ec72f3f171760271d55fd7f6b1d.jpg

Lucked out on the civic rad, managed to rotate the top hose so it fitted without being crippled. And the bottom hose just misses the down pipe. 

Went to see Funk Motorsport at Autosport show, ended up getting some goodies. Heat blanket for the hot side20190123_134347.thumb.jpg.2cbeb7723c79e117ad9ac1ba12f2aafa.jpg

And some of their gold heat reflective wrap (not cheap!!!!) As I wanted to start in the heat management of the car before we start screwing big power into it.

Heat wrapped the upper intercooler pipe, not the prettiest but it should make a difference to the inlet air temperatures 20190127_110217.thumb.jpg.f08c58a647d5c97c960c0af2e91f7849.jpg

Purchased a genuine Walbro 255 fuel pump, dads melted a piston using a fake Walbro before so it had to be genuine for Scarlet.

Fyi doing a fuel pump on these cars is so fucking easy. Longest thing was pulling out the seats I think haha

20190127_133827.thumb.jpg.a9e91115dc7a5bd8b68aaedf5c3b0abc.jpg

I'm hoping to have the thing running Sunday, gotta work out what I'm going to do with the hot side intercooler piping, cutting it apart seems the easiest way atm.

I bought myself a Xmas present. AEM failsafe x series wideband, the daddy of AEM widebands. Set me back a few pennies, but long term goals is I'm going to use the wideband for closed loop fueling and self learn on the ME221

• 1 month later...

Finally got the old girl running, few issues with the water lines. Had to take a drill to open them up a few mm, but it's all running now. Moved her from the front garden where she was basically stuck till the grass dried out a bit.

Nice spring clean, who doesnt like a snow foam pic20190224_112453.thumb.jpg.e4519597a72f5d4cf4876b9dbecb9c16.jpg

20190224_161233.thumb.jpg.6383748a5966f5d5740402020743f68c.jpg

might de-chav the rear end of the car, although I'm still undecided.

Annoyingly the headlamps need another cut with the mop and might attempt to lacquer them this time to stop them going yellow

20190224_154534.thumb.jpg.71dc3683e8da6ac9c7fa423e8ffaa041.jpg

20190224_141859.thumb.jpg.8a24b1f7f247f4e76c54d57f5d438dc9.jpg

I'm relatively happy with the car. As I'm still a new driver shes plenty powerful enough for me now, although a local lad has just bought a cheap glanza and potentially getting a free 4EFTE block from him. So may drop that off at the machine shop and start building an epic high revving 4E for the future

Yet to take her up the road on the new setup, never heard an external wastegate before so I'm rushing all my uni work so I can MOT the old girl and rag the balls off her lol