Ok, so I've run into a bit of an odd issue, bought a blitz access for my gt and once fitted all starts fine but as soon as you touch the throttle it throws a check light. 

If I turn the car off and check for codes it shows clear but if I start the car first then check codes after throttle blipped and engine still running I get a code 53, something to do with a secondary knock sensor?

Put the original ecu back in and no check lights. 

Checked the knock sensor wiring and all tests fine from ecu to sensor plug. 

I was thinking it might somehow relate to the wiring if the blitz was for a Mk1 so I've run through the two diagrams and changed the sensor ground on the large connector, and boost control on the small one but still the same issue. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

The blitz ecu is defiantly for mk1 gt as confirmed by jaystar on here  production date  japan reads from back so its 12/04/1990 this has been sorted on here  surely with the world of knowledge thats on here   im happy to issue neil a refund but he would rather get the ecu running in his car  

IMG-20200619-WA0003.jpg

I've managed to find an old thread where someone was having a similar issue to this but on a ZEP ecu, although annoyingly no resolution, the only suggestion was to check the knock sensor wiring which I have done already but am going to do again just to be sure... 

On, so I've rechecked the knock sensor wiring, and even re-made it as it had a couple of joints, and also changed the knock sensor for one I had on the block of an old gt I had, and still the same thing... 

The odd thing is the code is 53, rather than the normal 52 for the knock sensor. A search of the net suggests that it is an error on the knock signal processing but this was only in relation to general Toyota error codes, nothing specific to the 4efte... 

Really banging my head against the wall now as I want to get this fixed but I can't find anything obviously wrong with the knock circuit... 

10 hours ago, hopalong_neil said:

On, so I've rechecked the knock sensor wiring, and even re-made it as it had a couple of joints, and also changed the knock sensor for one I had on the block of an old gt I had, and still the same thing... 

The odd thing is the code is 53, rather than the normal 52 for the knock sensor. A search of the net suggests that it is an error on the knock signal processing but this was only in relation to general Toyota error codes, nothing specific to the 4efte... 

Really banging my head against the wall now as I want to get this fixed but I can't find anything obviously wrong with the knock circuit... 

Did a bit of research and found these threads. I know one relates to code 52 but it may help with the function and wiring side of things. Looks like the Knock sensor signal wire is shielded and both the signal wire and shielding must be wired correctly. It talks about the shielding on the knock sensor signal wire and how it should be connected (this is for an EP91 so may not be exactly the same). Hopefully it describes how it works and then you can compare if yours is different. I looked into Code 53 and I also came up with different explanations from "knock sensor loose" to "detonation signal". Stu's post looks quite helpful.

http://dub-se7en.toyotagtturbo.com/useful_info/OTHER_PDFS/4EFTE_4EFE_Engine_Diagnotsic_Code.pdf

Thanks @Claymore, funnily enough I had come across that post when searching the forum for knock (all 77 pages...)

When I rewired yesterday I made sure that the signal wire is connected to the knk pin (number 23 I recall) on the ecu plug, shield wire starts an inch back from the plug at terminates at the ecu under sensor ground. I also redid my earth's so all connect to the chassis as a point of reference rather than some connecting to the battery, some connecting to the chassis etc. With the ecu connected, all sensor earth give a good connection to the chassis but on starting the issue still persists...