Posted (edited)

The original zisco exhaust manifold from my turboed ep going on soon. 

16273304015211551698993.jpg

Yeh I'm loving it. 

It's around 110hp at present. Working out the power to weight is around 130+ish hp and the feel of the power delivery with the alloy flywheel it revs really well with a great hit of torque around 4.2krpm.  the rpm drop (running the alloy flywheel) because of the longer stroke of the 5e when you clutch in is alot better than on the shorter stroke 4e. 

I've driven a modded 4e running a the ee11 corrola inlet and the paseo running these mods is completely different. Alot more torque and power delivery is close to a (low torque fast/high revving) b16 honda proformance engine, with the shape of a integra/celica/mr2

Also because of the low drag shape its better to sit in behind something really fast on the motorway, doing this I can get the paseo nearly off the clock which is near impossible with the starlet, it's suprised alot of much faster modern sports cars. Also because of the shape and low center of gravity + higher engine torque speeds from 90 to 110mph are alot better. I recon this car would suprise on the drag strip at around 350hp. Again turboed eg civic and dc2 honda times I'd estimate. 

The UK 4efe definitely needs to run the 4efte inlet cam, the standard ep91 4efe inlet cam flattens the high rpm power no couple this with the tubular inlet and I shudder at the impact of the higher speed capabilities (all rev and no pull, "FLAT")

Just the turbo cam would make a good difference to a standard 4efe. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...

The paseo is due it's mot this month. I've been concentrating on this just at present. 

Then I can finally get up to the northwest to pick up some parts and get back on with the ep91 4efe+t build. 

I've recently replaced the front lower ball joints, and roll bar droplinks, both rear drums and shoes + bearings, as well as clean up the rust and hameright the front lower cross member behind the front bumper. Quite a bit of rust on it but savable. 

I'm also waiting for the tdo4 exhaust flange to turn up so I can use do the zisco exhaust mod. 

Fantastic progress you really havent hung around with this one Sam

any updates on the starlet or is it taking a back seat to get this one on the road?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

sorry for late reply. 

the starlet is at my second home fleetwood. im in oxfordshire at present soon to be going to fleetwood as ive just started my 3 month holiday from work. watch this space. 

im just rebuilding the front calipers today using yellow stuff pads and new vented discs.

the front caliper on the paseo are bigger units than the ep91 uk starlet, and the same size as the jdm ep91 glanza v. 

Edited by Sam44
  • 2 weeks later...

over the past few weeks i have been looking at the 4efte/gen 1 4efe power inlets flow characteristics. 

it appears that there is quite a big cylinder feeding flow difference with cylinder 3 getting a good chunk of the incoming air, leading to quite a big cylinder power balance difference. cylinder 4 is to close to the throttle with the air almost bypassing it. 

i have been designing a 45 deg flanged neck to go onto the manifold, placed in-between the throttle body and manifold around 20cm long. the idea is to ramp the incoming air across the back wall of the manifolds plenum chamber getting more air to cylinders 1&2. by my workings out it will give quite a nice power increase.  

bellow you can see the same idea used on these aftermarket power inlets.

looking at the pics you can see the air flow path. 

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

now you can see the problem.

See the source image

this is something i have been told about from the lad that sold me the starbo. legend of a guy.  

Edited by Sam44

Good stuff Sam :) I know 1st hand what the na is capable of with a less restrictive manifold,  I fitted the Rolla tubular manifold and made 86.6 hp on the dyno, stock is 74 

Morning skinny.

Yeh the standard manifold is very restrictive.

I use your graph alot. It's one of the smoothest I've seen on the E11 manifold.

I'm hoping this modification with the exhaust will get the 5e into the 110+hp margin. 

I've also ordered a k&n panel filter and drilled out the under side of the standard air box. 

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/k_n-replacement-elements/toyota/paseo.html

Edited by Sam44

Yea the tuner said because I'd just banged it on and never checked fuel or air it may run like shit. It surprised everyone that day lol, on his fuel/air monitor he said it was running sweet  :) I ran it with the TPS disconnected for random pops and bangs lol, I bate that we car daily and it just kept on going like a champ 

It was running a 2" straight through to back box and a random cheap ass cone  :)

videos of it upsetting a few folk on the drag strip somewhere,  maybe my YouTube 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update the itg air filter and larger throttle body do make a good increase in power above 4.5krpm but the standard air filter box with the k&n filter on the 4efte 50mm larger throttle make for better road driving (much smoother power delivery & low rpm torque delivery), helping throttle response which starts to become an issue using such a large throttle diameter. 

At this size the throttling is starting to get really sensitive on the foot. It's starting to become very easy to stall the incoming inlet air delivery at lower and mid rpm levels, if you are to agresive with your foot (bogging out).  Personally I would not go any bigger with the throttle unless a twin plate is used. On this the gen1 4efe and 4efte power inlet manifold. 

Edited by Sam44