Suspension (shocks/springs) and lowering quesions

bollocks, I wrote quesions instead of questions...

Right, it's 5:40 AM and I haven't been to sleep yet so bare with me if something sounds odd...

Car = Starlet EP91 Sportif, which is (at the moment) on completely standard suspension. A couple of days ago I put my wheels/tyres on which are 195/45/15s (Toyo Proxes T1-S).

I have a front and rear strut brace which are not yet fitted, and I plan to get a rear anti roll bar as I've read in so many other topics about them.

Anyway, onto the questions.

I've looked around some sites to see different suspension setups, coilovers, etc... and now I'm just looking for some answers.

I don't really want coilovers because they'd probably be too expensive for me and I'd rather not have a massively harsh ride.

- it seems that all the springs for the Starlet are 40mm. I assume then that this is fine for most wheel sizes, and wont give any problems rubbing the arches or anything like that?

- what are the best brands for springs & shocks, if I want good handling whilst not being too harsh?

- as a rough idea, how much will a decent set of shocks and springs set me back?

- are there certain things you have to look for when matching springs and shocks together. Obviously there are differences but how much does it matter if you just go out willy nilly and buy a set of shocks and a set of springs and put them on?

Any help is appreciated and it probably looks like I haven't bothered looking around for this myself but I'm still in the dark about it and prefer straight up answers rather than not being 100% sure. After all it is my own money I'll be spending and I'm sure everyone knows that you don't just go out and spend money without being totally sure what you're buying.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Enzo

iok mate il have a stab at this for you

- it seems that all the springs for the Starlet are 40mm. I assume then that this is fine for most wheel sizes, and wont give any problems rubbing the arches or anything like that?

with the tyre sizes your running you should be fine as long as you your offset is between +38-+40, i had pi -70mil springs and 17s only requiring a slight roll of the drivers side arch to fit so with your size of tyres you shold be fine.

- what are the best brands for springs & shocks, if I want good handling whilst not being too harsh?

id eather have to say whiteline/koni tein/koni or rsr/koni

- as a rough idea, how much will a decent set of shocks and springs set me back?

budget for about £400 for a new set of something quality

- are there certain things you have to look for when matching springs and shocks together. Obviously there are differences but how much does it matter if you just go out willy nilly and buy a set of shocks and a set of springs and put them on?

not really just get a feal for whats out there buddy. id probably stear clear of g-max though

cheers enzo, helps alot

so for example:

Koni front shocks -

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...product=3758893

Koni rear shocks -

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/pro...product=3759773

Tein springs -

http://www.toytuning.com/onlineshop/chassi...loweringsprings

that comes to ~ £365 not including postage

and that would be a decent suspension setup and worth the money?

i run Kayaba SR shocks with RS*R Ti2000 springs. and they are lovely, the ride is firm but not harsh and i really like them.

ive had Tein HA coils and D2s and i prefer the kayabas over both of them. the handling isnt as good as with coils, but the comfort outweights the performance loss.

if you have sufficient braces on key chassis points you can get a car with relativly soft spring rates handling really well. mine does.

the rear ARB is a good idea, they really do help the handling alot.

as for price. you can get a good used set of Kayabas on yahoo with some good springs for about 250 quid. ive brought in several sets of them in the past.

Is there any sort of "guarentee" with used springs/shocks though? I mean is there a chance you could end up getting some absolutely shagged shocks and some springs that have lost their tension?

I'd rather not save £100-£150 now and then end up paying another £400 for a new setup if that makes sense.

Nothing will be happening for about a month or two yet though, but I like to plan ahead.

To be honest I'm not too fussed about getting some top of the range sort or stuff, just something decent aslong as it's not cheapo rubbish.

you obviously wont get a guarantee with used stuff from japan mate.

but i have a good eye for stuff and try my best not to get shitty parts. i even have a guy in japan who double checks things for me. so im quite confident in the parts i bring over.

i can of course buy these parts new. but the Kayaba SR shocks alone cost about 300+ new.

Well I wont want to be spending that much for various reasons.

Which would be best then -

getting some cheap second hand ones from jap with a slight chance of bein a bit rubbish

or

getting brand new ones that cost more but guarenteed to not be dodgy

Possible change of mind, I might get some coilovers after all...

Me being a bit lazy but what are the most popular coilovers for Starlets and which ones are the best value for money + cheapest?

thanks