whats wrong with it?

hey had my starlet since may....when i got it it used to shake alot when left idling e.g. at the lights not really full on shaking but noticeable little movements the shaking went with the engine beat...the needle is always moving not at one point like all/most cars. after two bottles of redex improved alot...but it still shakes and the needles still doesn`t sit still always ossilating aroung 750-1000 rpm. my suspision is the fuel filter as i dont think it has ever been changed..has service history to an extent then was serviced by the same garage for the next 5-6yrs...the fuel filter looks new and genuine....lambda has been replaced fuel economy isnt the best on the car either (i have put on the corolla mani if it helps)..starts first time without fail in the morning tho.

i am puzzled dont know where to begin.

When did it last have a full service, including oil change, all of the ignition parts, and air filter?

My guess is that it hasn't been serviced and is not running very well. The shaking could also be caused by dodgy engine mounts.

But since you said the needle moves up and down it's probably the engine.

Check all the sensors are ok, and everything is connected.

my girlfriendsdoes this but you cant notice the needle move it just judders at the lights now and again. but then again the engine is fooked we think as we can hear nocking and also it smokes now and again so we think its piston rings.

it had oil (10w 40), oil filter,air filter, plugs, clutch, timming belt at the same time...me n my dad did it. as for the battery and altnator...the main symtom would be not starting but it starts first time all the time. again my suspision falls on fuel filter or injectors.

same here ive been doing that since i was about 11. worked on many cars while growing up had none complain because of overtightened spark plugs when they come back for other work

hey had my starlet since may....when i got it it used to shake alot when left idling e.g. at the lights not really full on shaking but noticeable little movements the shaking went with the engine beat...the needle is always moving not at one point like all/most cars. after two bottles of redex improved alot...but it still shakes and the needles still doesn`t sit still always ossilating aroung 750-1000 rpm. my suspision is the fuel filter as i dont think it has ever been changed..has service history to an extent then was serviced by the same garage for the next 5-6yrs...the fuel filter looks new and genuine....lambda has been replaced fuel economy isnt the best on the car either (i have put on the corolla mani if it helps)..starts first time without fail in the morning tho.

i am puzzled dont know where to begin.

my sypathies man, my n/a judders now and then when i pull away and used to have a noisy idle,i ran the tank as low as i dared then changed the fuel filter (do the bastard up tight) then swithed from cheapo 95 octane to v-power 97 octane its alot quieter at tickover since-just try switching the fuel but u need to have it near empty before tho, let us know if it helps :D

tbh mate the shaking isnt BAD but quite small and v noticable. what i propose to do is

clean the throttle body when i replaced the mani it looked dirty but i dint have time to clean it.

check spark plugs tighten them or loosen them which ever is appropriate, and look at the colour (would tell me alot if something was wrong)

replace the fuel filter with a genuine one (eliminates the filter if it continues to shake)

and hope for the best....