Clarkson In New BBC Standards Row

Brand and Ross's shit joke has lead to everyone exaggerating things now, here's the latest situation.

The BBC is at the centre of another "bad taste" controversy after Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson joked that lorry drivers spend their time "murdering prostitutes".

His comments were aired on Sunday night, in the midst of the public outcry over obscene phone calls made by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand to Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs.

The pre-recorded remarks made by Clarkson were cleared for broadcast by senior BBC executives.

But they have prompted nearly 200 viewer complaints and a furious response from victim support groups and road hauliers. Ofcom, the media regulator, has also received complaints and is considering an investigation.

Clarkson and his co-presenters, James May and Richard Hammond, were taking part in a stunt for the BBC2 show which involved driving lorries around an obstacle course.

Climbing behind the wheel, Clarkson mused: "What matters to lorry drivers? Murdering prostitutes? Fuel economy?"

He went on: "This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

The Road Haulage Association, which represents Britain's 9,000 haulage companies, has demanded a public apology from the presenter. Spokeswoman Kate Gibbs said: "Road hauliers are having a hard enough time as it is without the kind of ridiculous comments being made. In a week following thousands of similar complaints to the BBC over comments made by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand, this is in particularly poor taste. It is just another example of celebrities having the licence to say absolutely anything they like.

"This is an unacceptable ... slur on the character of lorry drivers and the character of the industry, and it is grossly unfair. It's up to the BBC what action they take against Clarkson but we are certainly demanding an apology over these disgraceful comments."

A spokesman for the United Road Transport Union said it had been inundated with complaints from its 17,000 members. "We would absoltuely condenm what he said about murdering prostitutes. It ebggars belief that those words can be broadcast on TV. The BBC is an institution that is paid for by the licence fee and they should not be allowing this kind of sick joke."

Clarkson's joke is believed to be a reference to 'Suffolk Strangler' Steve Wright, jailed earlier this year for the murder of five Ipswich prostitutes. The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, who killed 13 women, was also a lorry driver.

Victim Support denounced the presenter's "deeply offensive and insensitive remark", adding; "It is impossible to understand why Mr Clarkson believes that making light of the murder of women is acceptable as light entertainment."

A spokeswoman for the English Collective of Prostitute said: "This is a truly heartless comment. In the wake of the murders of five young women in Ipswich and the killing of over 60 prostitute women in the last 10 years, how did this remark come to be broadcast? Mr Clarkson should apologise immediately to prostitute women and our families, especially those of us bereaved by murder."

The BBC was roundly criticised for its poor handling of the Jonathan Ross affair. However, despite the latest complaints, the BBC defended Top Gear.

It issued a statement which read: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona. This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence.

He went on: "This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

That cracked me up when I watched it :lol:

Clarkson's joke is believed to be a reference to 'Suffolk Strangler' Steve Wright, jailed earlier this year for the murder of five Ipswich prostitutes. The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, who killed 13 women, was also a lorry driver.

Bit of a coinsidence (sp) :o

Saying that my Dads a lorry driver :lol: :lol:

Frankie Boyle from Mock The Week is also under fire for this:

Asked to think of something the Queen would not say in her Christmas speech, he put on a high voice and said: 'I have had a few medical issues this year - I'm now so old that my pussy is haunted.'

The thing is, people who watch Top Gear alot or anything that has Jeremy in it, would know that he makes comments like this all the time. He is just that kind of blunt person. Personally I think he is really funny.

This BBC thing with Russell and Ross is pissing me off. It was funny as fuck I thought! But get over it already. Its been in the papers front page nearly everyday since it happened, and people just won't forget it.

Lets face it, Sach's granddaughter is a ho!

Frankie Boyle from Mock The Week is also under fire for this:

Asked to think of something the Queen would not say in her Christmas speech, he put on a high voice and said: 'I have had a few medical issues this year - I'm now so old that my pussy is haunted.'

And Mock the Week is the funniest show since Never Mind The Buzzcocks! So blunt and so funny!

And Mock the Week is the funniest show since Never Mind The Buzzcocks! So blunt and so funny!

Agreed, 100%. Love both those shows, think I look more forward to Mock The Week than Never Mind The Buzzcocks at the moment though. Frankie Boyle is an absolute genius.

Isn't he just! His team always win, and they deserve to cause they are always funniest! I do prefer it to Buzzcocks at the moment, seems alot funnier!

I don't find the whole 'This series is slightly less funny than the last one' crap funny. They spend so much time emphasising that it's worse than the last one to the extent you seem to get brainwashed and actually find it less funny.

On the other note, I didn't find the Sach prank thing funny personally. He's just an old guy with a dirty attention seeking slut for a Granddaughter, nothing he can do about it and he didn't deserve those calls.

Personally I hate Russell Brand and I'm all for seeing less of him!

I don't think he is as funny as people make out. I hated him when he appeared on TV at first on Big Brothers Big Mouth. He is a dick really.

The best part of Buzzcocks is the identity parade part, frikken cracks me up. Bring back Mark Lamar though!

8 out of 10 cats is another fav of mine.

my dad is a lorry driver and i was sittin next to him whilst watchin it he was goin mental sayin i would kick the shit out of him if i seen him. i was holding my laughter in fort it was funny as fuck.

If her own grandad doesnt even care why did they make such a big deal

and ohh my god!! Frankie Boyle pissed myself laughing when i saw that episode, they always win because there are no funny people on the other team esp, that Andy Parsons, bald guy with the goatee, never even a smirk - he reckons himself tho, having said that Russell Howard on that team is good

what an uber team that would be Russell Howard, Frankie Boyle and Hugh Dennis

do like Stephen K. Amos too tho

and as for 8/10 cats - FAIL

Always hated Simon Amstel, but on Buzzcocks he is awesome, when he made Preston leave i was all lols

Yeh i hated him but he does make me laugh on buzzcockz, lamarr was great too though.

I cant believe theres a woman who watches buzzcockz. I am in love.

And this it typical fomr the UK now. Gradually the country will keep pointing out petty things until nothing happens anymore. Comedy will be like watching clouds.

And the Jonathon Ross show is hilerious hope it comes back on.

Comedy will be like watching clouds.

Well no because clouds exist, comedy on the other hand won't because someone will be offended, complain and that comedian will end up careerless :lol: and probably end up presenting some phone voting drivle

Comedy is just going out of the window now. No one can have a joke anymore. Everything is just becoming censored. These people are paid to be funny and they are getting into trouble for it. Fair enough the Jonathan and Russell thing was a bit far as they were ringing up an old man but most other things are just a laugh. Everyone should just get off there high horses and have a laugh!!!!!

People have said far worse things than this. And 35,000 people complaining about Russel and Jonathan. It seems too many people have too much time on their hands. GET A JOB!!!!!! My huge chunk of tax goes to these fools!!!

Bourkey