Audio - something simple but sufficient

It doesn't need to be mentioned that most Starlets have poor audio as standard, and I'm wanting a basic setup just so I can listen to music, I'm not looking for perfect quality nor do I want to shake the car to pieces with bass. (Also I want to keep it as lightweight as possible).

A while ago I was given some car audio stuff, an old amplifier that looks like it hasn't ever been used, it's only a 160w, but it's tiny, weighs only 1.8kg and is almost small enough to fit in the glovebox!

Anyway, what I want to know is would this setup be good enough aswell as giving a noticeable bit of bass:

160w amp (already got)

6x9s on the parcel shelf (or am I better off with something else?)

replace the standard 4" with some decent ones (or is this a waste of money and should I go for a different option?)

Oh and I'm going to need a headunit I'll just get a fairly cheap CD player...

As for what make, I would probably want to go with Pioneer as I find them to be decent and fairly cheap, but I don't know too much about audio stuff so am open to any suggestions.

I also have a subwoofer crossover that I was given but I don't think I'll need it as I preferably don't want a subwoofer.

Run the 6x9s n 4" off the headunit and sub off the amp....6x9 are more than ok i have two 6? 8? inch ones in the back under the normal grill n uprated 4" ones on the front n a 12" sub n amp in the back (bit big but its all good) simple set up my EQ n sound balance stuff needs to be sorted out but i cba lol.....6x9 on show just shout chav come n rob me thats why i went wiv the stealth look cost me 190 all in for the speakers n amp.

All i have is a 12" sub in the area where the spare wheel used to go and the 4" speakers up front. Sounds brill. Lots of treble at the front with all the bass at the back. I don't need anything more than that as the sound is perfect :p.

Bourkey

I would mind doing that tbh but my back seats are in (for now) and I use the boot alot at the mo...

If the 6x9's will be decent enough I'll settle for them... might have a quick look on some websites to see what else is out there.

Ok I've had a look around and like these:

headunit

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-de...71v9mlglb6p5e31

6x9s

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts...71v9mlglb6p5e31

4"

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts...71v9mlglb6p5e31

Comes to about £120 in total, will that setup give decent sound and a good range of sound? (So I'll have atleast some bass?)

Does that setup look decent enough? (Already got an amplifier as I mentioned earlyer).

if you get a shite headunit itll sound shite basically

You saying that because that headunit looks shit or were you just saying it in general?

That Pioneer one looks alright, £60 supposed to be £100.

no not because it looks shite...in general...you get what you pay for..some cheap ripspeed/sendai thing is going to be wank compared to a proper alpine/pioneer version...

as from experience i would also go for an alpine over a pioneer now aswell...so have a look at them

I have a 12 pioneer sub power'd with a 600watt kenwood amp which cost me 80£ off the net really nice amp for peanuts. i have a kenwood headunit which cost me 150£. I also have alpine 10cm's stuffed in the front for sum good treble. I really have to agree about the headunits i have done probably about 6 installs for m8s and if you get shit headunits it make's every thing crap. I really would get an alpine if your looking for a warm sound a kenwood if your looking for clarity, pioneer if you wanna be cheap. Dont consider others espically sony i have heard two different head units and they sound nasty. As for 6x9s i also have kenwood (simply because in my opinion the produce sound shit). However what you could do is get sum high power handling 6x9s I think its vibe or kicker that do the square ones. well any ways they can take more power and come with a cross over so you could use your amp to power those should be orite considering your specs you wanna meet on you install.

Oh i have to add ive actually heard these speakers aswell and they arent half bad. What you could do is put your small amp in the glove box like you wer saying and run the wires, you can then keep the boot as you say you use it alot. So with that ya should get some amount of bass. for about £80 for the speakers and a wiring kit probs costing like 10-30 quid. If you go with this set up thuo the bass will be infections and youd probs end up buying a sub thuo haha :)

being bored i though id have a look these are the ones im talking about

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-qb69-...71v9mlglb6p5e31

They go down to 30Hz wich is very good for 6x9s nice n low usually they only go to about 60Hz. Also its rms is 200watts which isint bad considering most others are only 100watts. Lol actually looking at this compared to the other ones that are like another 50 quid more expensive these are bloody good higest and lowest freq response.plus max watts of 600. mite look into them lol

Cheers for the detailed replies mate, appreciate it, but really what I'm looking for is something as cheap as possible yet still acceptable quality, aswell as keeping weight to a minimum. 95% of my funds are going towards performance/handling. To be honest I don't want anything that's gonna make me go deaf lol or shake the car apart, just something to listen to when I'm bored or whatever.

I've decided to wait a bit longer for audio stuff, maybe even get some 2nd hand stuff instead of buying new.

yea i understand to be honest if you looking for that, then those vibe 6x9s will do the job a treat no heavy sub jus a small amp and the two speakers on yer shelf. Mabe look for second hand ones they will probs be half as cheap as what you'd buy new. However if you jus want something really cheap then what you picked out is fine jus have a look at a better head unit. found a decent package here http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/kdc-w534-i...rs-p-13242.html + ya get an ipod adapter not bad?