'Real' Minority Report

Nice to see our taxpayers money is going towards something useful..

CCTV cameras which can 'predict' if a crime is about to take place are being introduced on Britain's streets.

The cameras can alert operators to suspicious behaviour, such as loitering and unusually slow walking. Anyone spotted could then have to explain their behaviour to a police officer.

The move has been compared to the Tom Cruise science-fiction film Minority Report, in which people are arrested before they commit planned offences.

article-1089966-029EE866000005DC-605_468x286.jpg CCTV frame 1: Two men appear to be meeting on a deserted street. Is a crime about to happen?

article-1089966-029EE82B000005DC-914_468x286.jpg CCTV frame 2: The two men are now seen exchanging words and perhaps something else. The operator is alerted

It will also fuel fears that Britain is becoming a surveillance society. There are already 4.2million cameras trained on the public. The technology could be used alongside many of these to allow evermore advanced scrutiny of our movements.

Last night, civil rights campaign group Liberty was sceptical. A spokesman said: 'Bringing expensive Hollywood sci-fi to our car parks will never be as effective as having police on the street leading the fight against crime.'

The cameras, trained on public places, such as car parks, are being tested by Portsmouth City Council.

article-1089966-029ED646000005DC-480_468x286.jpg Crystal ball: This new CCTV in Portsmouth can automatically detect potential crimes before they happen

Computers are programmed to analyse the movements of people or vehicles in the camera frame. If someone is seen lurking in a particular area, the computer will send out an alarm to a CCTV operator.

The operator will then check the image and â?? if concerned â?? ring the police. The aim is to stop crimes before they are committed. If a vehicle is moving too fast or slow â?? indicating joyriding or kerb-crawling, for example â?? a similar alert could be given.

Councillor Jason Fazackarley of Portsmouth Council said: 'It's the 21st century equivalent of a nightwatchman, but unlike a night-watchman it never blinks, it never takes a break and it never gets bored.'

Enlarge article-1089966-029EE379000005DC-377_468x286.jpg How it works: The CCTV system being used in Portsmouth to detect potential criminal behaviour

article-1089966-029EF6E5000005DC-247_468x330.jpg Under watch: A man is caught on CCTV loitering in a stairwell

But the danger is that the innocent could be forced to account for their movements despite doing nothing wrong. Nick Hewitson, managing director of Smart CCTV, which has created the technology, denied it was a further infringement on privacy.

He said the final decision on whether to send police to question a suspect would still rest with the CCTV operator.

article-1089966-0065EEBF00000258-881_468x305.jpg

Fiction? Crimes are predicted by special operators in the Hollywood blockbuster Minority Report, starring Tom Cruise

Mr Hewitson added: 'Although we are a long way off Minority Report, it is a step closer.

'But what it cannot do is say whether a guy is waiting for his girlfriend or about to commit a crime. That is for the operator to make a subjective human decision on.'

article-1089966-029E6A5E000005DC-464_468x286.jpg

Smile you're on camera: Portsmouth City Council is introducing a new sophisticated CCTV system

The system has been run successfully in several U.S. cities, including New York. Government departments here are said to be interested in putting it to wider use.

Tory Shadow Home Secretary Dominic Grieve said: 'We will look at this carefullyâ?¦ but there is no argument for CCTV that invades your privacy without being effective in the fight against crime.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...ORE-happen.html

Seems like a good idea at first but I agree with more police patrolling would be alot more effective, a camera isnt going to stop a crime!!

Everything seems to revolve around CCTV these days, it most cases (that I know of) It has been completetly useless ;)

I think they plan opf having chips inside people in the future too, apparently making it impossible to do anything lol

The world will not end due to a natural disaster, it will demolish itself with these silly things.

People in the thousands will start to revolt and you cant control that unless the chip has a durg in or someething.

totally agree with whats been said. nobody has privacy these days, you cant pick your nose without someone seeing it. wont be long before they spying on us in our own homes!! :thumbsup:

They already are mate! Everytime you log in to your computer or use a mobile phone someone is watching :(

Try typing in some keywords regularly such as bombs, jihad etc etc and you can bet your socks theres a computer geek in GCHQ watching you :harhar:

I think they plan opf having chips inside people in the future too, apparently making it impossible to do anything lol

The world will not end due to a natural disaster, it will demolish itself with these silly things.

People in the thousands will start to revolt and you cant control that unless the chip has a durg in or someething.

Damn that the salt and vinegar will sting!! Won't be too bad if they use the lil crispy ones and not the big steak chips :thumbsup::(

your completely right there. they do have plans for this as i have read about this many times but they wont put it in action straight away what they will do is bring in the id card which will upset a lot of people but for the youngsters that are born into this version of reality that states we must all be recognised there older the governement will stwhere ever we go and monitored they will accept the id card then when art to push towards babies being chiped on birth.

That reminds me of the Volvo advert, where it asks if Cameras are there to spy on us or protect us!

The problem they have is that too many times will people be accused of doing something that they haven't and then people will start trying to claim harrasment of something.

I went into a shop with my aunts, nan and mum the other week. And we were standing around waiting for my cousin in the changing rooms. A security guard tried to accuse us of stealing! Just because the camera's assumed we were loitering!

So - all thats going to happen now is when a major crime is about to happen they will short out or kill the power to a certain area to kill the frrd to the cameras.

The US are already developing a grenade that emits a pulse charge , a kind of EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) so a quick blast of that and it will knock all the cameras out!

Seems like a good idea at first but I agree with more police patrolling would be alot more effective, a camera isnt going to stop a crime!!

Everything seems to revolve around CCTV these days, it most cases (that I know of) It has been completetly useless :D

i dont know how true this is but read somewhere that britian is the most camerad up nation in the world