Hi all,

Just bought myself an EP91 Starlet with a 4E-FTE conversion. It was quite poorly maintained but I've been going through and replacing everything that I can.

One thing that it had started doing just before I'd bought it is this HORRIBLE idle, where it sits there frequently revving up and down, between 800 and 1500 RPM. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this so that I can drive my new toy.

Cheers

I snapped my PCV valve accidently and it did this. Is there plumes of smoke coming out of the exhaust by any chance???

bourkey

Yeah another good point lads any smoke at all? The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) can become really brittle when old as they are plastic so also worth checking. Timing that is out and VAC leaks will also do what you describe but get back to us when you can.

T

List youre spec as Toby said.

Clean out youre beather system, ie.. pcv valve, breather pipe. air intake pipe.Make sure the pcv valve isnt clogged, get a cotton bud inside it with some carb cleaner.If its cracked or damaged replace it.

Check theres no obvious vac leaks.

Clean out the idle control valve with carb cleaner.Its the white thing on the side on the intake manifold.

Run some injector cleaner through the injectors..Clogged injectors will throw the car into a crazy idle and bog down when you plant it.

There the easy things to check. Let us know

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...