Hi All,

Just a qiuck question its coming up to pay day :D and i am planning on buying a decent aftermarket panel air filter for my N/A and just wondering where do i go to find them any sites ect looked on ebay they say they are for Turbos is there a difference between the two.

Thanks Craig

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closed filter was always better when i had the n/a, felt way nippier lower down the revs.

Yeah the airbox will be better at lower revs, whilst a good open filter will be better at higher revs. But make sure to get rid of that crap pipe, you can buy short lengths of alu pipe off ebay.

It depends what you want really, if you like to thrash it I'd definately suggest an open K&N filter.

But if you prefer lower revs then go for the airbox panel filter.

Also with an open filter you get a great noise at WOT. :)

I`ve got the k+n panel really noticed a diff over the paper mache one i had previously i opted not to go for a open one due to heat soak, it getting wet, stupid mpg when having a boot etc.....mine was £25 inc delivery new.

I`ve got the k+n panel really noticed a diff over the paper mache one i had previously i opted not to go for a open one due to heat soak, it getting wet, stupid mpg when having a boot etc.....mine was £25 inc delivery new.

I have had none of these problems.

Asda where did you get yours from?

Well the main problem is the k&n filter is only small thats why i am changing as ifs not made for the car it was just a replacement from the old one thats wht i am looking for another one and i have heard that the panel filters are better all round than the open filters.

Craig

Just checked it.

Craig another alternative is to get rid of that crap rubber pipe and replace it with a short piece of aluminium pipe (off ebay for about £15 or something) and the correct silicone reducers/joiners to fit the pipe to the TB and air filter.

I'm guessing the diameter thing for the filter is around 76mm as it's on the end of that rubber pipe?

As for the air sensor and oil breather - I drilled a hole in my alu pipe and put the rubber bung from the airbox in there, and I made a hole in the silicone reducer to stick the oil breather pipe in there.

Bad pics but you get the idea:

http://file042a.bebo.com/9/original/2008/1...9243883562o.jpg

http://file042a.bebo.com/9/original/2008/1...9243883668o.jpg

As you can see I still have a good feed of "cold" air. I have been through some serious puddles without trouble, and it hasn't negatively affected the MPG.

I recommend it, it works well for me. It's nice and quiet for normal driving, you don't even notice it, but when you open the throttle it roars.

Last thing - if you didn't know already - the little black "box" attached underneath that rubber pipe is a resonator, it's there to quieten down the noise. That along with the bad shape of the rubber pipe is why I think it's crap for airflow compared to a smooth aluminium/stainless steel pipe.

Ignore me if I'm telling you things that you already know but why bother putting the airbox back on when you have a usable filter that could be put to better use with a few ££. :)