How The F**k Do You Remove Springs From Shocks?

I got my KYB New SR Specials and TRD springs today, but the springs are rusty so I want to respray them. How do I get the springs off the shocks?

Had a quick search on google and can't find anything...

Use the garage You will regret it if you try doing it yourself! Most probably from a hospital bed! There will be some who say tie a rope around it etc but for your own sake get it done by a pro for a few quid :thumbsup:

Just buy a set of spring clamps from Halfords, use them, then take them back!

Compress the spring, and remove the top mount (get a very small spanner to hold the top of the shock where the flat is (you could use mole grips), then undo the big nut).

I can do it and i have done it many times. You do need spring compressors and you need a powerful impact drill to get the nuts off the top otherwise the shock piston will just spinn around. If you were closer i could have done them for you. I fitted a set of springs to Newbe's car the other week as well.

Bourkey

cheers for the replies :thumbsup:

I wont be fitting them to my current Starlet though, waiting to get a new one with lower milage.

Just wanted to "refresh" the suspension with some new paint mainly to protect it from further rusting.

I'll either get the garage to do it or just borrow their spring clamp.