Cheap Starting Mods For A Non Turbo Starlet Ep91

Hi all im a new member this is my 1st post hope i get some good info from you guys, basicaly ive got a 1997 starlet sportif which so far i have debadged, fitted a momo steering wheel, fitted blue dash lights to match my cd player, fitted a pipercross induction kit, removed the outer door strips, fitted a backbox and fitted wolfrace 15" alloys. i havent got a great deal of money at the moment as i was made redundant a few months back and my plans for my car went out the window. i still want to continue modifying my car while looking for work but dont realy no where to start on a low budget so any ideas or help anyone can offer would be great. im always browsing ebay and checking local scrap yards for any parts i can afford and use but so far no luck with my minimal funds.

Get yourself a Corolla inlet manifold. Expect to pay around £25-50 delivered for one.

You will see a good gain in power throughout the rev range especially towards the top end.

Get yourself a Corolla inlet manifold. Expect to pay around £25-50 delivered for one.

You will see a good gain in power throughout the rev range especially towards the top end.

realy ok sounds good where can i pick 1 of these up from what engine is it from?

The Paseo and Starlet have the same manifold.

The one from the Corolla looks like this:

manifold.jpg

It is found on "bug eye" Corolla's and also on the Glanza S.

You can get them from car breakers. Have a look on ebay and down your local breakers/scrapyard, I got mine off ebay for £25 delivered. Bargain!

The Paseo and Starlet have the same manifold.

The one from the Corolla looks like this:

manifold.jpg

It is found on "bug eye" Corolla's and also on the Glanza S.

You can get them from car breakers. Have a look on ebay and down your local breakers/scrapyard, I got mine off ebay for £25 delivered. Bargain!

ok thanks for the good tip i will try to hunt 1 of these down and ill get sum pics of the car on here for some feedback when i get round to cleaning it 1st.

• 5 months later...

4efe can make 128bhp, stick with it for a while tuning, everyones says just turbo it just turbo it, but just spend your money on things you could use on a turbo engine too like a piggyback ecu etc. Keep it well serviced with new oil filter and 10w-40 oil dont put 20w-50 race oil its too thick and heavy. Let her warm up before racing and dont sit on the rev limit, 5500rpm is where the power stops.

Corolla inlet manifold, decat, any backbox you like 2inch maximum hole and get a piggyback ecu. Dont spend £200 on a exhaust manifold you dont need, and dont bother with trd thin headgasket until you need to do piston rings and valve stem oil seals at which point you will fit fte turbo valve springs :p or turbo cylinder head if you can find one for £50 or less. Check your fuel pressure by having you mechanic fit a double banjo bolt on top of fuel filter. I used a fte turbo fuel pressure regulator because my 4efe was very old and turbo one was only 40k miles old.

4efe can make 128bhp, stick with it for a while tuning, everyones says just turbo it just turbo it, but just spend your money on things you could use on a turbo engine too like a piggyback ecu etc. Keep it well serviced with new oil filter and 10w-40 oil dont put 20w-50 race oil its too thick and heavy. Let her warm up before racing and dont sit on the rev limit, 5500rpm is where the power stops.

Corolla inlet manifold, decat, any backbox you like 2inch maximum hole and get a piggyback ecu. Dont spend £200 on a exhaust manifold you dont need, and dont bother with trd thin headgasket until you need to do piston rings and valve stem oil seals at which point you will fit fte turbo valve springs :p or turbo cylinder head if you can find one for £50 or less. Check your fuel pressure by having you mechanic fit a double banjo bolt on top of fuel filter. I used a fte turbo fuel pressure regulator because my 4efe was very old and turbo one was only 40k miles old.

I'd agree with the majority of that, however even though the power tails off at around 5500rpm with the basic Corolla manifold/air filter mods I still found it better to take it near the redline rather than changing gear early.

Going by someone's dyno graph (can't remember who it was, I saved it a long time ago) the peak torque was around 4k and changing gear near the redline puts you near 4k rpm. Which is straight back onto the powerband.

The turbo regulator from the end of the fuel rail was fresher, small changes in fuel pressure make differences so i decided to make sure my engine was well set before tuning. Also I hate spending money.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go... I hate that saying, do your research, double check everything people tell you on the net as most are just quoting something they read elsewhere and didnt quite understand.

Good fresh oil makes a big difference, I engine flushed a 5e and put in cheap cheap 10w-40 oil and the difference was amazing.

4efe valve springs start to float after 5500rpm so dont cruise at the rev limit, but its up to you.

15inch wheels are as big as you want to go on 4efe, it will keep the acceleration and 110mph topspeed and plenty of grip. 195/50/15 prada spec2 tyres for £50 and your flying. You can also fit paseo glanza or starlet gt brakes which are bigger, I think that should be your first mod, then rear panhard rod from whiteline