Guys got a little pocket rocket a Toyota Starlet GT Turbo Inport facelift model.

Suddenly lost power from the turbo and it was like the old days of driving my litle metro.

Looked under bonnet great big crack in manifold.

New manifold and new exhaust system.

Solved problem ish.

The turbo spools up but only to about half its previous level and the BOV doesnt sound as loud as it did prevously.

On the two mode turbo dial on the dash a "low" light has lit up.

Turbo is not smoking.

Any pointers on why I have lost half my power.

Rob

Sounds like you got some kind of boost leak, which is prob why the dump valve sounds different because you havent got as much pressure. You need it looked at more closely.

As for the "On the two mode turbo dial on the dash a "low" light has lit up." thats standard mate, it lets you know what mode you are on, when you switch to high boost the light goes out :huh:

hang on a minute you say you have lost half the power and the dump valve sound different, and also the light for low boost is on, maybe because you have got it on low boost, switch the button to high boost then see if its still half the power LOL

on the dash next to the hazard light switch, i will post up a pic

Thanks Dan problem solved car now zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooming.

I have only had the car a couple of weeks and the button has no pic on it I thought it might be to do with my air con button?? LOL

And there was me thinking big bills!!

Rob

i know this isnt on the subject... but are you from www.c-sidecruisers.co.uk?

Nope?

Rob

i wernt dissing him, i dont do that. i just had a bad day and found it amusing.. because it was the button.

i was basically thankin him for making the day a bit better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well what a birk :lol:

Just as well that I came on here then rather than get stung by some unscrupulous mechanic.

If the guy who sold me the car had explained about the two mode turbo i would not have had to ask!!!

I knew that the manifold needing replacing and that the exhaust system had seen better days so it was no surprise when i lost power as the crack had got bigger whilst i was waiting for a new manifold to be delivered.

The good thing about owners sites and forums is that you can get the right advice and guidance from nice people (Dan) and then those who seem to take delight in either taking the p*ss or thinking they are funny.

But no offence taken after all I have just saved a few bob from not having a mechanic to look at it.

I have always wanted a little Starlet and I am very pleased with her even more so now that she has full boost.

Off to get her road rolling tested to see if the power is what the previous owner claims :)

Now i remember, i aint even got a turbo!!!!

Well get one then :p

Thanks again Rob