Remove the split pin and castellated cap, loosen the hub nut which is a 30mm, remove the two bolts that hold the hub carrier onto the shock absorber, swivel that out of the way, at the same time, gentley remove your c.v joint from the hub, remove clips from the boot, cut old one off if need be, wipe away any excess grease, get someone to hold the driveshaft as you knock the back of the c.v joint with a soft hammer (copper, nylon, hide), the c.v joint will eventually relieve itself of the spring clip, should just pull off after that, give it all a good clean, check the splines, fit new boot onto shaft, fit the nut onto end of the c.v joint, just so the top sits flush with the shaft, slide the c.v joint onto the driveshaft till it meets the spring clip, make sure it is square before you tap it back over, you'll feel it click into place, fit clip or tie wrap to smaller end of boot, fill with grease, and be careful not to get any on the c.v joint or the boot where it mates to the c.v. slide over, fit clip, reverse the disassembly of the car.

Job done

Damien

• 7 months later...
if you cant get it off at the hub end (they seize for fun)

its really easy to change it from the inner end. it literally falls out of the hub its so easy to take out.

Can someone please explain a little further as i have both outer sides to do on my Glanza.

Or does anyone know were to get a manual from??

Thanks

John

• 1 month later...

"Starlet__SR Posted Sep 3 2009, 08:18 PM Remove the split pin and castellated cap, loosen the hub nut which is a 30mm, remove the two bolts that hold the hub carrier onto the shock absorber, swivel that out of the way, at the same time, gentley remove your c.v joint from the hub, remove clips from the boot, cut old one off if need be, wipe away any excess grease, get someone to hold the driveshaft as you knock the back of the c.v joint with a soft hammer (copper, nylon, hide), the c.v joint will eventually relieve itself of the spring clip, should just pull off after that, give it all a good clean, check the splines, fit new boot onto shaft, fit the nut onto end of the c.v joint, just so the top sits flush with the shaft, slide the c.v joint onto the driveshaft till it meets the spring clip, make sure it is square before you tap it back over, you'll feel it click into place, fit clip or tie wrap to smaller end of boot, fill with grease, and be careful not to get any on the c.v joint or the boot where it mates to the c.v. slide over, fit clip, reverse the disassembly of the car.

Job done

"

Thanks for the excellent how to guide Starlet SR-

There has been good news and bad news today, good news is another MOT pass! :)

Bad news is advisories on outer CV boots, I take it the above guide will also apply to my humble Starlet sportif??

i got a tool off ebay its called a spider and for anyone that wants cv boot changes to be easier i highly recomend it got it for £10 and u put the new boot on it and it expands the stretchy boot and u slide it straight on saves nocking the cv joint off :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...

"Starlet__SR Posted Sep 3 2009, 08:18 PM Remove the split pin and castellated cap, loosen the hub nut which is a 30mm, remove the two bolts that hold the hub carrier onto the shock absorber, swivel that out of the way, at the same time, gentley remove your c.v joint from the hub, remove clips from the boot, cut old one off if need be, wipe away any excess grease, get someone to hold the driveshaft as you knock the back of the c.v joint with a soft hammer (copper, nylon, hide), the c.v joint will eventually relieve itself of the spring clip, should just pull off after that, give it all a good clean, check the splines, fit new boot onto shaft, fit the nut onto end of the c.v joint, just so the top sits flush with the shaft, slide the c.v joint onto the driveshaft till it meets the spring clip, make sure it is square before you tap it back over, you'll feel it click into place, fit clip or tie wrap to smaller end of boot, fill with grease, and be careful not to get any on the c.v joint or the boot where it mates to the c.v. slide over, fit clip, reverse the disassembly of the car.

Job done

"

Good description! Worked well. I did the drivers side CV boot this afternoon, could not get the near side (passenger side) hub nut undone, not even with heat, WD40, and a breaker bar, in fact with a 5 foot box section on the breaker bar all it did was break part of the square off the end of the breaker bar.

However, did drivers side OK, and the drivers side handbrake cable replacement went well the other day. CV joint is relatively easy to change on the Starlet! The car seems to be designed to be worked on, unlike most modern cars. However, hub nut has defeated me so I will get a local mechanic to do that side. He almost certainly has a much stronger breaker bar or an air gun with which to loosen off the hub nut.

Tomorrow, I do some welding! MOT next week.

385970.jpg

:):p

LOL! But still a very relevant thread for keeping your Starlet MOT'd and on the road. I will start a separate one for the welding repairs.

Maybe the site could do with a FAQ and "How To" section.

I just wanted to express my gratitude as there seems to be no workshop manual available for the EP91 Starlet this site has the answers! :p :P

Love the old original Batman and Robin...

by the way, I revived the thread in obeyance of this dictate:-

"Dear Members

It would be very much appreciated if you could please in future check through previous technical discussions and the UKSC Technical Archive.

This is to ensure that the topic you are about to create in a particular section has not been covered before.

Please also do your best to post in the proper specific sections provided. This saves UKSC Admin a lot of time and effort by keeping the forum tidy.

There are a lot of areas of EP tuning that have been identified and labeled so that you can be as specific as possible when explaining your question or query.

Sorry for ANY inconveniences and we hope that we can continue to build up the UKSC forum together.

We are aiming to make our EP Technical section one of the most comprehensive on the net.

Thanks for your co-operation and understanding."