alright people,

with my air filter still being located at the top of my engine bay and it not being sheilded from heat im thinking of purchasing one of them carbon encased jobbies with the direct air feed, prob the bmc one. they are quite expensive so wanted to know if they are any good? any one know?

cheers.

i know they were the best power gain on the vts saxo's. due to me used to owning one..

there are graphs showing the bhp differences on the saxosport site.

Why dont you just make a custom alloy induction pipe with some flash blue samco joiners , get the pipe polished up and fit a hks/blitz/apexi etc filter to it, probably get a better feed than even a bmc enclosed if you route it to the front of the bay near the grill chap. and work out cheaper.

demon tweeks sell different angle and diam piping and all the samco joiners/reducers you need.

Carbon doesn't have very good insulating properties though (If it's just a carbon shield your buying) You could make a carbon airbox -- but again you'd have to locate it away from anything hot or you'll make yourself a carbon hotairbox

that shits crazy. would love to try that but think il let someone else do a test run first as im a bit weary of the implication to the engine and confused as to how it works. would be cool though.

Snake Oil :lol:

My maths may not be spot on but bear with me,.....

A 4-stroke engine needs completes a cycle in 2 revs

So the whole engines displacement is used in 2 revs (1332cc)

Or half of the engines displacement is used per rev (666cc)

So at the rev limiter 6000rpm (revs per Minute) will be using,......

6000 X 666 = 3996000cc (cubic centimetres)

Or 3.996cm3 (Cubic Meters) per minute

Or 66600cc per Second

Or 0.0666cm3 per Second

Or 66.6 Litres per Second

Or 33ish of those big bottles of your favourite cola per second

Or enough air to fill the engine 50 times over a second (66600/1332=50)

This presumes, that

A) The engine fills itself fully (admitly not going to happen as some exhausts gasses will be left over and the engine vacuum won't be strong enough to suck enough air in through all the restrictions, and push against all the back pressures)

;) Car in place where air pressure is 1 atmosphere, so pressure inside the engine when full is the same as outside (I'm not sure about gas pressure/densities, so I'm assuming a nice density of 1:))

I know the engine probably won't manage to fill itself 50 times a second, and you won't be at 6k revs all the time, but I was going for a rough peak air usage

I also chose max revs as you want it to be able to at least keep up with what the engine demands, but this is a 'turbo' so we should excide demand and ram the air down there (double pressure, double the air flow)

If somebody who knows more about the sucking power/back pressures of the 4E-FE, and gas pressure/densities can calculate a better figure, please do so

Anyway, the 'turbo' in question, runs of 12volts (like fan in the back of your desktop comp), can pull 40amps @ max load (40,000RPM), later on it says the unit includes a 25,000rpm motor

(/|\ from the faq bit, hmm can my alternator handle 40amps on top of the existing load? :lol: ), but,......

What is the radius of the fan?

What design are the blades? (designed for high flow or pressure, both, neither?)

What power (Watt's) is the fan?

And most important of all, what is the fans flow rate? (CFM cubic feet per minute or CM3M Cubic meters per minute)

What I'd really like is a graph of flow vs pressure, so I know how much more air it can push into my engine, pity all we get is the fuzzy dyno graph, with labels/axis we can't read from an unknown dyno :p if you look at the text at the bottom the DIY version also lacks the dump valve

Also if this is the Gen2, why does the faq talk about the Gen1? and if this thing has been in dev for 2 years don't you think there would be more details at their site? not dodgy looking, no sir not at all!

If it was as good as it claims, how come it isn't standard or at least an option from the manufactures, EH?

But if really, really want one, you can make your own even cheaper, best add an EBay superchip to avoid fuel cut :lol:

Now I've finished boring/educating/insulting you all, I'll go back under my rock :p

Snake Oil :lol:

My maths may not be spot on but bear with me,.....

A 4-stroke engine needs completes a cycle in 2 revs

So the whole engines displacement is used in 2 revs (1332cc)

Or half of the engines displacement is used per rev (666cc)

So at the rev limiter 6000rpm (revs per Minute) will be using,......

6000 X 666 = 3996000cc (cubic centimetres)

Or 3.996cm3 (Cubic Meters) per minute

Or 66600cc per Second

Or 0.0666cm3 per Second

Or 66.6 Litres per Second

Or 33ish of those big bottles of your favourite cola per second

Or enough air to fill the engine 50 times over a second (66600/1332=50)

This presumes, that

A) The engine fills itself fully (admitly not going to happen as some exhausts gasses will be left over and the engine vacuum won't be strong enough to suck enough air in through all the restrictions, and push against all the back pressures)

:D Car in place where air pressure is 1 atmosphere, so pressure inside the engine when full is the same as outside (I'm not sure about gas pressure/densities, so I'm assuming a nice density of 1:))

I know the engine probably won't manage to fill itself 50 times a second, and you won't be at 6k revs all the time, but I was going for a rough peak air usage

I also chose max revs as you want it to be able to at least keep up with what the engine demands, but this is a 'turbo' so we should excide demand and ram the air down there (double pressure, double the air flow)

If somebody who knows more about the sucking power/back pressures of the 4E-FE, and gas pressure/densities can calculate a better figure, please do so

Anyway, the 'turbo' in question, runs of 12volts (like fan in the back of your desktop comp), can pull 40amps @ max load (40,000RPM), later on it says the unit includes a 25,000rpm motor

(/|\ from the faq bit, hmm can my alternator handle 40amps on top of the existing load? ;) ), but,......

What is the radius of the fan?

What design are the blades? (designed for high flow or pressure, both, neither?)

What power (Watt's) is the fan?

And most important of all, what is the fans flow rate? (CFM cubic feet per minute or CM3M Cubic meters per minute)

What I'd really like is a graph of flow vs pressure, so I know how much more air it can push into my engine, pity all we get is the fuzzy dyno graph, with labels/axis we can't read from an unknown dyno :p if you look at the text at the bottom the DIY version also lacks the dump valve

Also if this is the Gen2, why does the faq talk about the Gen1? and if this thing has been in dev for 2 years don't you think there would be more details at their site? not dodgy looking, no sir not at all!

If it was as good as it claims, how come it isn't standard or at least an option from the manufactures, EH?

But if really, really want one, you can make your own even cheaper, best add an EBay superchip to avoid fuel cut :p

Now I've finished boring/educating/insulting you all, I'll go back under my rock :D

:lol::p That has gone over the top of my head :lol::p

:lol: :lol: That has gone over the top of my head :p:lol:

I also missed my orginal point for posting, basicly the lack of any useful info makes it look dodgy, and do you really think a small 12v plastic fan can shift enough air at enough pressure to act as a turbo, the damn thing would just be a restriction in the airflow

• 2 weeks later...

that would prob look ok, if it was done right. but round my way ive seen a few variations to this on crap cars which looks absoloutly shocking. seen one on a 205. he just choped a massive hole in his bonnet and had a cheapo filter sticking out. people from notts may have seen this shed, i pissed myself laughing at it. just want something a little more heat protected.