What Petrol Do You Guys Use ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont usually give an opinion after a few drinks but here goes :(. i think as said there are no gains to be had. for the 5th gear test etc i believe the cars that showed a difference ie a subaru would have been designed to run on the higher octane fuel so woud give a best result on the higher octane fuel. maybe 35bhp better than 95 ron but not 35bhp up on standard. and as shahzad said there is only 1 refinery for scotland so unless shell or bp are paying more to import fuel ( no chance ) you are all buying the same stuff from tesco shell and bp ( 99 ron ) just different prices. hope that made sense. i will review in the morning haha

I've been using super unleaded (RON98 here) since I got the car. Would you guys reckon BP Ultimate (RON99 here?) is worth the extra money? Last week normal super unleaded was about 1.46 euros (at a random 'Pin&Go' pump) and BP ultimate about 1.54-1.55. So for 30 litres that would be about 3 euros extra, not that much if you look at it that way, but on the other hand if it's useless marketing stuff, it's still too much (I'm a greedy dutchman :) )

In the end I just think it's best to use the fuel you car originally was mapped for or the fuel that comes closest (in the case of jap imports). So for a normal (not Bmw M3, Porsche 911 etc.) EU car it would probably just be best to get the RON95 or whatever regular unleaded is in the UK. But then again I have to say I never really looked into this issue a lot so don't take my word for it. :)

But doesn't the car have to be programed to run high octane ? IE super unleaded.. or can you just use what ever octane ?

No, its the physical conditions the fuel is under that determines whether its suitable.... i.e. the higher compression in the 4efte than the 4efe.

I use irish petrol :) which is 80% petrol and 20% water and dirty and what every is in the tank

I notic when i was in the UK last week my car ran better and idle better then before and felt a little bit more there when i put the foot down, Now i have only filled up my tank up about 3 days ago with irish pump fuel and my car is idle bad and is jump all the time and is not all there when i put the foot down.

So count your self lucky you don't have to put irish fuel in

Also V-power and them i can't get

heres a funny one i used to run a Coswort Power Ford Cortina on alcohol Russin stuff :o

• 1 month later...

watch this, 4efte is gonna have similar percentage increase as the scooby i reckon.. been a turbo n that lol

where as n/a starlet is gonna be like the clio... very little / no bhp increase although as it has been said the engine may run better i suppose. :p:p

thanks guys!

been running on 95rom as you do for the past 2-3 weeks, read the post, dropped her to the petrol light came on filled her up with 99rom tescos. no differents at all.

untill this morning which is the followin morning and fantastic! what a difference.

defo more power, defo more smoother, and just alot more happy with the higher rom fuel.

regards

dunno what the case in the UK but here when Vpower wan introduced it was all like:

ooooooooooo aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wooooooooooooooow

everybody thought it was 98RON but then it turned out to be ron95 with additives..

Now on every shell fueling station it states that:

Shell Vpower euro95

BP Ultimate is truly a 98RON fuel, so i usually go with that.

EDIT:

i just checkd the dutch SHELL site and they say its an 97RON