New Brake Kit For The Ep91

stock looking discs just ruin it for me ;)

Show me some 2 piece grooved rotors, sorry im a whore ;)

lol, when I get them made you guys will be the first to know!!!

'course I can do 300mm rotors and bells as well as 280mm but I get the impression the 16's that they would really need are too big for most people?

15s for me ;)

Although I am sure 300mm fits under some 15s? Correct me if I am wrong

Correct, some 15's but very-very few. Not any that I've ever found, put it that way!

Possibly real motorsport ones like the Compomotive and (proper) Team Dynamics ones for instance?

stock starlet sr wheels are speedline safari's.

hi spec do a 300mil disc conversion that fits under them so its food for thought,

also the later mini cooper s discs are just over 300 mil by 25 thick. that might be worth raping if you dont want to go to the expense of bells and rotors.

stock starlet sr wheels are speedline safari's.

So are the SRs EP91/55mm bore, or EP82/54mm bore?

If I go 300mm I'll find the ideal disc, don't you worry about that! I try to have two versions of each kit, a solid disc and a rotor/bell of the same basic dimensions, so there are two price options.

Have you managed to get a look at those brake line tabs yet dude? ;)

Yea I though Slim had 300mm discs on his thats why I mentioned it, hope they fit behind the Final Speeds ;)

So that's 300mm behind 15" Final Speeds, or behind onther type of 15" that's fitted at the moment?

for very harsh driving(rallying rallycross etc) cars would be equipped with excessively large calipers and thickass solid discs.

the more metal the more heat needed to over cook the discs, less warping less cracking.

worth the extra unsprung weight to have a thicker but NOT drilled or grooved disc.

Phil

for very harsh driving(rallying rallycross etc) cars would be equipped with excessively large calipers and thickass solid discs.

True but you mean "heavy" when you say solid I assume? As opposed to non-vented?

the more metal the more heat needed to over cook the discs, less warping less cracking.

Spot on, higher thermal mass means lower temperaturse for the same heat energy input, although a rotor on a bell can be lighter if it's "radially floating". As in to say, it can heat up and expand freely, without any strain from the bell!

worth the extra unsprung weight to have a thicker but NOT drilled or grooved disc.

Phil

Correct, grooves are sometimes used to stop pads glazing, but very few modern pads suffer from that. Drilled holes were to cope with pads "gassing" (ie the resins in the pads used to boil and the pad would "hovercraft style" be held off the surface of the disc)....but again modern pads don't do this any more, in fact I refuse to supply drilled discs because of the increased cracking.

A couple of points:

It's better to run a lighter disc and higher-temp pads on a race car if you can get away with it!

The WMS semi-sponsored TVR Chimaera race car runs slicks and WMS calipers and he's never had brake fade problems on 280x24mm discs and EBC Reds (ie fast road/trackday pads in a full race environment)! In fact he can out brake people more at the start of each race while their massive AP Racing discs and full race pads warm up.

If people really have problems with heat on the one-peice WMS 275x22mm setup there's a heavy 25mm thick one I can use - probably upgradeable from one to the next with the bits needed to change the offset (inc widening the caliper). Costs more and is heavier though so no point doing it for it's own sake.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick note to let you guys know we're out of stock!

We're taking "reserved" orders for kits from the next batch if people want to bung me a PM, more calipers will be along shortly, unless someone brave (or with a bais-box) wants to try a kit with the 1.62/1.75 size piston calipers!!! :(

I'd also just like to say thanks for the welcome WMS has had here on UKSC - one of the most friendly forums I've ever been on! B)

Keri

Just a quick note to let you guys know we're out of stock!

We're taking "reserved" orders for kits from the next batch if people want to bung me a PM, more calipers will be along shortly, unless someone brave (or with a bais-box) wants to try a kit with the 1.62/1.75 size piston calipers!!! B)

I'd also just like to say thanks for the welcome WMS has had here on UKSC - one of the most friendly forums I've ever been on! :lol:

Keri

Thanx for the udate.

And compliment on the forum. B)

Your pretty kick ass yourself keri

• 7 months later...

New toys! :)

This is the monster WMS T30x caliper at long last! It uses a mono-bridge design which makes it very very stiff vs the competition, giving really good pedal feel but at a fraction of the cost of a true monoblock. It's also the next size up from the T20 caliper.

The plan for it on the Starlet is to fit it to a 298.5mm kit....watch this space. :)

WMS-T30x-800x600.jpg

Brackets are being anodised and *might* be delivered Thurs morning, if not then beginning of Jan.

I've got calipers here but they all sold (via deposits) before they arrived! That said, I've asked the customers for the balance on these kits and being xmas chances are someone will say "can I get them next year 'because I'm skint" in which case they'll be moved to the next batch and their calipers will become available.... :)

I'll get more in Jan in either case!