Piston Rings What To Look Out For

im in the middle of doing mine mate.

Basicly mine was pushing oil through the rocker cover breathers, and it started sounding like a subaru slightly, wasnt missfiring but it didnt sound right, however it was still drivable.

Do a compression test and see what comes up, I've taken my engine out today and im going to be doing the re-build shortly.

if it is deffo the piston rings, Dont start the car up or anything just incase you damage something even more.

Mine didnt smoke through the exhaust either

depends mate, could be your valve stem seals

mine is a n/a. and i dont know how it would be valve stems they were done in it not long ago.

another question is there any oil channesl in a turbo head that wouldnt be in a n/a head gasket and block?

i know valve stem oil seals make the car smoke through the exhaust but we have had car's come into the garage were they have been smoking and we have taken the engine apart as the compression was very low and found the piston rings were in a shit state replaced them and solved the smoking and compression problems only ever done them on a N/A

I cannot see how fucked piston rings couldn't give off a blue smoke from the exhaust, Because if oil is getting into the cylinder bores it is going to burn it thus causing blue smoke out of the exhaust, Sometimes when you change plugs on older car's they have oil around the recesses were the plugs sit, when you remove the plug it runs down into the cylinder and when you start the car up it smokes very heavily until it has burnt the oil off

A mate of my old mans, his piston rings went on his car and the car was smoking really bad under heavy acceleration

I'm not saying it's more common to have this happen then to have Oil come pissing out the Breather as i know that the obvious sign of piston ring damage is to have oil piss out of the rocker cover breather, But it can get up into the cylinder and burn off causing the car to smoke,

cylinder leakage tester or Compression test will tell you if its rings as others have said, with a compression test once you get the results put a spoonfull of oil down the low cylinders & repeat the test to see if compression raises. on our engines its normally the ringlands (between the rings) which crack. The symptoms of ring failure can vary depending on condition of the other rings & what ring has failed.

It tends to be the ringlands that break up on the starlet pistons, as said you will see oil coming from the rocker cover breather and also the dump valve sometimes.

Sounding like a subuaru is part of it as well but once you do a compression test you will find the problem cylinder(s) if anyone is in doubt just drop us a message or call or even pop down with the car and we will check it out for you.

Kind Regards,

Nick Jones

Tuning Developments LTD

Workshop Landline - 01925 822266

TuningDevelopments@Hotmail.com

www.TuningDevelopments.co.uk