No you don't have to buy a slimline ballast. Any hid that you go for all come from china. I buy all my hids from hongkong via ebay and pay no more then 50pounds. For the quadlight you need 9005 bulb but not to sure on the square lamps. But I suggest you don't fit them in square lamps as the light will be scattered all over the place and blind people.

X2 on not fitting them I square headlight you will blind all traffic I've only used em in my fogs and I'm getti g some decent h4 to go in the headlights like philips or the halfords ones.

i had the Phillips bulbs in my car, they pretty good. more of a whiter light instead of that nasty yellow.

but they only lasted 1 year. dont know if that is good, could of been unlucky of something.

I if it last 1 year I think that's shit because i still have the original bulbs from factory in mine and they are 11 years old.lol.

Fast forward 3 years...try this one for size :)

click

(note the tests were done in philips light tunnel....coincidence all the current philips lines came top??)

If you can have a read of the WHICH? magazine review, they tested a new astra and based on there findings halfords came last...

Lux=light intensity all on Dipped beam

New Astra HID - 164 lux

Bosch Pure Light H7 - 141 lux

Osram Night Breakers H7 - 97 lux

Philips X-Treme H7 - 102 lux

Standard (OEM) H7 - 91 lux

Halfords Super Brilliance H7 - 90 lux