Does Anyone Know About Classic Mini's?

I'm not getting one if that's what you were thinking. :lol:

But there's one been sat at my uncles house for a fair few years, I think it's a 1972 Mini Minor, few bits of rust, paint is faded, engine condition unknown, and not sure what the subframe is like, it's been sat on grass for years so guessing it's rotted to shit.

I'd just had a thought though - would it be worth breaking for spares? I doubt it's worth anything in it's current state, even if the subframe was ok it would still need alot of welding and a respray, let alone any engine/brake/suspension work.

I could join a load of Mini forums and see if it's worth anything in spare parts but thought I'd ask on here first as I know a few people have had Mini's.

I doubt it will go back on the road and I don't think he has the logbook for it.

If I had somewhere to put it I'd have a go at restoring it myself but I've already got a Starlet and a CRX and no money. :lol:

The old mini's are great and there is alot of parts/stuff available for them at very reasonable prices. The amount of interest in them is amazing so there are so many people about to help with questions and problems.

My next project may well be a mini as i just love them!

Obviously the Demon has mini running gear/hubs/coilovers etc and plan is to keep it all mini as its just soooooooo cheap to replace any bits. For example a set of vented/grooved and drilled performance discs will set you back about £33 :rolleyes: And you can get a alloy 4 pot caliper conversion kit with everything needed to fit for about £300.

If your looking to buy it to break it then its probably not worth it as prices for second hand parts are quite low. If its got a good body/chassis then may well be worth buying as a project car though???

Jason

depends how much you can get it for???

I could possibly get it for free, as it's just been sat there and I don't think my uncle could give two shits about it.

The problem is I don't think he has the keys or the logbook for it, as the previous owner of the house he lived in just left it there. Along with a boat, a pool table, etc... lucky bastard.

But it's just a matter of wether I'd make any money breaking it. I suppose I'd have to join some Mini forums to find out.

When the weather picks up I might have a proper look underneath it to see if it's worth even attempting to restore it, as I said it's going to need a respray and lots of welding done so it's going to be a full strip down and rebuild sort of thing. If I did it as a project I'd probably keep it all original then sell it on for a profit.

I could possibly get it for free, as it's just been sat there and I don't think my uncle could give two shits about it.

The problem is I don't think he has the keys or the logbook for it, as the previous owner of the house he lived in just left it there. Along with a boat, a pool table, etc... lucky bastard.

But it's just a matter of wether I'd make any money breaking it. I suppose I'd have to join some Mini forums to find out.

When the weather picks up I might have a proper look underneath it to see if it's worth even attempting to restore it, as I said it's going to need a respray and lots of welding done so it's going to be a full strip down and rebuild sort of thing. If I did it as a project I'd probably keep it all original then sell it on for a profit.

To be honest it probably ain't worth it! Most bits will probably be knackered or just rusted on so will snap when you take them off. Have a look at ebay for people breaking minis and you will get a rough idea of prices etc. Most things are sooooo cheap new that most people will just buy new parts than second hand ones. A brand new water pump with gasket is £12. pads £8 a set and most engine parts are usually relatively cheap also. You can probably pick up a 1275gt engine for about £200 i guess. Personally i think it would be better off as a project car/rebuild.

Jason :rolleyes: