hi everbody,

since about a week ago my glanza has started making a loud ticking noise on idle and up to wen full boost comes in. it seems to come and go. ihave recently had decat and uprated manifold fitted about two weeks ago but i dought thats related to that noise.

any help would be much appreciated,

thanks

guy

hi everbody,

since about a week ago my glanza has started making a loud ticking noise on idle and up to wen full boost comes in. it seems to come and go. ihave recently had decat and uprated manifold fitted about two weeks ago but i dought thats related to that noise.

any help would be much appreciated,

thanks

guy

this will just be your injectors because theyre having to work more dont panic :)

thanks for all the replys,

i have done a full inspection on my manifold and decat using a mirror to get a good look underneath but there are no cracks splits etc. i remember having the same problem with my civic but it went after a while???

im gettin a loud ticking noise when im starting up, the mani has a crack but its not coming from there. after inspecting today it seems to be the alternator belt, sprayh a wee bit wd40 on the alternator belt and see if the noise goes away for a minute, if it does u need to tighten/replace it

Hey mate, mine makes a ticking noise too. On mine its the idle control valve. Its quite a fast distinctive tick on idle! Look up by the inlet manfold to the left. There will be a small cylinder looking thing with a plug going to it. If you unplug it for a sec, the revs should drop then obvioulsy the ticking should stop (if this is the problem). If it stops then its the valve, so not to worry! Worth a try?

Also mine doesnt tick from cold with the hightlights on, because the revs obviously pick up effecting the ICV.

Sorry if this doesnt help but just sounds like similar, if not the actuall problem

had my car looked at by someone and the manis cracked or the gaskets fucked, after a week!! hes having a proper look on monday then ill know for definate. its not been a good week for me as i also got white sealant on my seat B) . damn it!!! role on next week!!!

oh and thanks for every1 whos helped me, much appreciated!!

what mani have you got on there mate

it was a cheap and nasty one, i kinda expected it and was planning on gettin a better one, but this was dirt cheap. so i wud recomend no one buys a cheap mani as it will break

• 11 years later...

Hi guys.

My engine starts ticking not on idle but when I start driving it and I press the throttle. It does it for a few hundred meters (around a minute) and then it stops doing it. If I give more gas the engine is not running properly. As soon as the ticking fades everything turns to normal. It does it when I fire it in the morning and it’s still does it when the engine is warm. At first I thought it was the oil missing on top of the engine for the valves hydraulic but I am not sure and I would like someone to help me find out. Thanks. 

Edited by Frankieflowers
On 1/15/2022 at 11:54 AM, Frankieflowers said:

Hi guys.

My engine starts ticking not on idle but when I start driving it and I press the throttle. It does it for a few hundred meters (around a minute) and then it stops doing it. If I give more gas the engine is not running properly. As soon as the ticking fades everything turns to normal. It does it when I fire it in the morning and it’s still does it when the engine is warm. At first I thought it was the oil missing on top of the engine for the valves hydraulic but I am not sure and I would like someone to help me find out. Thanks. 

This can sometimes be the idle control valve. Assuming you have a 4e-fte, unplug it while the engine is running and see if the ticking stops.

1 minute ago, Frankieflowers said:

I did so and it stopped ticking while rpm raised.

what shall I do now? Should I buy a new one or can I repair?

IMG_5371.MOV 14.57 MB · 0 downloads

It's pretty common, I don't actually know if a new one would solve the issue. They are pretty expensive from Toyota and they are shit 🤣

If the car runs ok I would perhaps ignore it.

I've actually made an adapter which replaces this valve with another more modern idle valve and removes the wax stat from the throttle body as well. You would need an aftermarket ECU to control it.

18 hours ago, Patches said:

It's pretty common, I don't actually know if a new one would solve the issue. They are pretty expensive from Toyota and they are shit 🤣

If the car runs ok I would perhaps ignore it.

I've actually made an adapter which replaces this valve with another more modern idle valve and removes the wax stat from the throttle body as well. You would need an aftermarket ECU to control it.

That’s cool. So I cleaned it with a product and the ticking disappeared. But then I gave some gas on the throttle with my head close to the engine and I heard that the ticking I hear from the cabin comes from the exhaust manifold. So this must be caused by a crack in the manifold or in the downpipe. I read this around and I was hoping it wouldn’t happen.