rite im thinking instead of breaking the car i will attemp to do the water pump myself i have found one on camskill but there is two different types a fixed and a bolt on but not sure what one i need also while im doing this i will have to change cambelt and a mate said to do the head gasket anyway while we have the tools out does anyone think this is a good idea and is it worth using a standard one or get an uprated one even tho im using stock internals any help would be great thanks for looking

lewis

if you go for a .6mm head gasket your going to higher compression ratio.... now i beleve highering the compression on a turbo/ forced induction car is a no no. even more so if your/you've already up'd the boost!

dave burwash sales them http://www.tm-developments.com/index.php?m...=20a&page=5 last page 95 quid but he does a very big range of head gaskets now so alot of competion

ok thanks spoonz will have a look now B)

if you go for a .6mm head gasket your going to higher compression ratio.... now i beleve highering the compression on a turbo/ forced induction car is a no no. even more so if your/you've already up'd the boost!

ok so what your saying is just use a standard toyota one?

^^Luke Is bang on as per B) Dont bother with your head gasket if its ok the leave it...if its not ok and needs doing then you will have to use the oem Toyota head gasket as luke has said it will change the compression and thats a no no.. on stock internals also when was the last time the timeing belt was done? if that doesn't need doing then dont do it lol just change the water pump and go from there

no i'm saying read up on the effect of putting a thinner hg on ya car you can get standard thinkness uprated hg and thicker ones to do abit of research before buying i know if you higher the ratio there is more chance of detonation and you defo dont want that on a turbo

^^Luke Is bang on as per B) Dont bother with your head gasket if its ok the leave it...if its not ok and needs doing then you will have to use the oem Toyota head gasket as luke has said it will change the compression and thats a no no.. on stock internals also when was the last time the timeing belt was done? if that doesn't need doing then dont do it lol just change the water pump and go from there

ok so do you think i should just do the water pump and leave the cambelt and head gasket and see if that cures the problem as i am 90% sure its the water pump as the car aint taking no water from the rad ?

no i'm saying read up on the effect of putting a thinner hg on ya car you can get standard thinkness uprated hg and thicker ones to do abit of research before buying i know if you higher the ratio there is more chance of detonation and you defo dont want that on a turbo

its all confusing to me at the moment but i spose once i get through all this ball ache i will understand my car alot more lol

ok so do you think i should just do the water pump and leave the cambelt and head gasket and see if that cures the problem as i am 90% sure its the water pump as the car aint taking no water from the rad ?

Yeah mate if the cambelt has been change not long ago then dont bother i think they need changeing every 50.000miles or so.

And if the head gasket is ok then leave that to.. if you take your head off all the timeing will be out and you will have to get that set back up and that means more money just change the water pump...im sure it will be ok when you have done that.

water pump is defo the easier out of the three to do if it has overheated it might need the hg doing as well you need to have the head skimmed as well if you can, but its alot of work the block as well, they warp more than the heads having both of them skimmed will lower compression plus a thinner head gasket your asking for trouble.

the water pump is not part of the cambelt of the starlets which makes it an easier job you can get the water pump from any motor factors i paid about £20 for mine and it was a nippon one same a toyota use plus the vat so for the sake of it it'll be worth doing

Yeah mate if the cambelt has been change not long ago then dont bother i think they need changeing every 50.000miles or so.

And if the head gasket is ok then leave that to.. if you take your head off all the timeing will be out and you will have to get that set back up and that means more money just change the water pump...im sure it will be ok when you have done that.

ok matey i will do that first and see what happens is the water pump easy to do as i went to my mechanic and he said he will do it for 90 squid if i provide the pump and i can get a pump from camskill for 25 squid do you think i should give it to him to do

water pump is defo the easier out of the three to do if it has overheated it might need the hg doing as well you need to have the head skimmed as well if you can, but its alot of work the block as well, they warp more than the heads having both of them skimmed will lower compression plus a thinner head gasket your asking for trouble.

the water pump is not part of the cambelt of the starlets which makes it an easier job you can get the water pump from any motor factors i paid about £20 for mine and it was a nippon one same a toyota use plus the vat so for the sake of it it'll be worth doing

it only overheated slightly as soon as i noticed it i turned the car off and havent driven it since so dont think it would of damaged the hg or the head well i hope not anyway

is pucka preformance near you i'm sure they will do a water pump fitting for less than that it 1.5hours max

i think its quite a treck as im in margate and i wouldnt want to risk driving it a few people have told me that if the hg had gone it would overheat all the time this i can confirm from my old pug 205 but my car was only overheating when not movin as soon as i was driving it came straight back down

Well the water pump was easy to do for me B) put im not sure if it will be easy for you if you take the starter motor off pluss the alternator it makes life so much easyer.. the way i see it if you dont try and do it your self then you will never learn but thats just me lol

if you use your car for work then get etc then get mechanic to do it as it might be off the road for abit if you do it....I never done one befor and i had mine done in about 3hours max

Well the water pump was easy to do for me B) put im not sure if it will be easy for you if you take the starter motor off pluss the alternator it makes life so much easyer.. the way i see it if you dont try and do it your sell then you will never learn but thats just me lol

if you use your car for work then get etc then get mechanic to do it as it might be off the road for abit if you do it....I never done one befor and i had mine done in about 3hours max

yeah i think i will get him to do it as i do need the car and im a bit scared of taking these things on lol

yeah i think i will get him to do it as i do need the car and im a bit scared of taking these things on lol

Well if you do take it to a garage watch him do it then you will know how to do it your self next time........Hope you get everything sorted Lewis best of luck mate B)