Hey, I've been trying to fit my standard GT front strut brace; but it seems there's something obstructing it:

starlet031st0.jpg

starlet032av0.jpg

starlet034kr5.jpg

The cylinder type thing to the left of the airbox prevents the brace from fitting properly; and the wire cluster to the right looks like it may interfere slightly as well. Has anyone else had this problem, or know what to do about it? Thanks - James

i fitted 1 of these to my car. the cylinder thing is a fuel filter i think? all i have done is removed the bolt holding it in place and moved it to the other side of the strut brace. if you understand what i mean?

Hmm no I dont understand really? Is it easy? And do you have pics? Cheers

James, why didnt you ask me lol B):lol: ?

Strut Brace king here B)

Its soooooooooo simple, undo the mounting bracket on that cylinder thing (fuel filter) which is located just underneath it holding it in place (u can't miss it) with a suitable tool and this will allow it to be moved (keep the bolts just in case), so push it down as far as it can go, and then you will find that you can fit your brace.

However the cylinder thing will be tight against it so I recommend putting some material in between like a thin piece of foam or even folded cardboard. This will minimise metal to metal vibration. Also you will find that after removing the cylinder thing's mount, you will get some vibrations or slight rattling, this is normal so dont worry :D

Here's a pic from my exclusive Starlet Archive to show you how it should look:

DSC00311.jpg

Any other Q's you know who to ask B)

Peace Out

Joz

James, why didnt you ask me lol B):lol: ?

Strut Brace king here B)

Its soooooooooo simple, undo the mounting bracket on that cylinder thing (oil filter) which is located just underneath it holiding it in place (you can't miss it) with a suitable tool and this will allow it to be moved (keep the bolts just in case), so push it down as far as it can go, and then you will find that you can fit your brace.

However the cylinder thing will be tight against it so I recommend putting some material in between like a thin piece of foam or even folded cardboard. This will minimise metal to metal vibration. Also you will find that after removing the cylinder thing's mount, you will get some vibrations or slight rattling, this is normal so dont worry :D

Here's a pic from my exclusive Starlet Archive to show you how it should look:

DSC00311.jpg

Any other Q's you know who to ask B)

Peace Out

Joz

Haha cheers man - appreciate it! Didn't see you on msn? Is it safe to do this with the oil filter? And isn't there a way to do it without it rattling about? Cheers

Haha cheers man - appreciate it! Didn't see you on msn? Is it safe to do this with the oil filter? And isn't there a way to do it without it rattling about? Cheers

Its cool.

Its not good to be on ALL the time lol, also its 100% safe mate to move the oil filter, tried and tested!

There isnt really a way to minimise the rattling as it comes mainly from the fact you just unbolted the mount that holds the oil filter in place. You could try driving with it how it is with the brace fitted and see how the rattlng is, then try driving with the mount thing bolted back on for extra tightness and that might minimalise it.

Tbh its not a big problem and you will get used to it, mine hardly rattles now, use foam mate its goooood!!!

Peace Out

Joz

dont wana sound like a dick but its a fuel filter boys and the way joz has described is about the best way to do it you could rip tie it to something lower down that'll stop the vibrations :lol:

the rubber mallet worked well for me aswell. it is my tool of choice whatever the job!

there are two types of people in this world thinkers and big rubber hammer swingers. both get the same results.

mine doesn't rattle at all either. good luck with it mate.

dont wana sound like a dick but its a fuel filter boys and the way joz has described is about the best way to do it u could rip tie it to something lower down that'll stop the vibrations :lol:

It was more fun to go along with the cylinder thing... your no fun man lol! :D

Peace Out

Joz