What Would You Do

after spending a lot of money getting my car up to scratch to sell it, and passing the mot the other day with flying colours the engine has now started knocking from what we believe to be the bottom end:( i had a buyer for the car and everything and was sorting out buying an ep95 for which i have a backroom full of parts and loads of shit on the way for it from the bodykit to a turbo kit. Gutted is not the word. Now i need to make a decision. do i rebuild the current engine? or buy another engine and put that in then forge my own engine for the 4x4? or do i sell the car as spares or repair or break it.

i still cant understand what has caused the bottom end to go, the head gasket was just done 2 months ago and its been regularly serviced and ther is fresh oil in the car, even with the knocking im not getting any smoke or anything, the car doesnt get thrashed at all either, ive barley drivin the car since the head was done but i did have it out for a blast the day before the MOT and everything was fine, dropped the car off the next morning for MOT and went to work, finished late about half 7 that night and picked the car back up at around 8. makes me wonder what the mot tester has been doing, hes a young guy with a 2ltr corsa.

anyway ill stop rabbling what do u guys think i should do?

i cant really tell you what to do but 4wd and an FTE lump = win win B)

break it for spares and you could probably get most of your money back and still head down the ep95 route

sorry to hear its gone anyway

guys with corsas are not guys that can be trusted :)

i dont want to break the car i dont have the patience for it and tbh i cant be arsed, i just spent a lot of time and money fixing up all the niggly bits on it plus renewing the mot a couple of days ago. things where looking good and the car was running mint then all of a sudden it sounds like a lawn mower going over stones

but i dont know if he has been out in it thats the thing. i obviousley drove it that night and everything was fine. the next day i drove it to finish off a little job and as i pulled up at the job the car cut out, i started it up again and parked and it cut out again so i popped the bonnet and had a look to see if i could see anything wrong, gave it a little rev and heard it knocking a little but not very loud. got the car home and now its getting louder but doesnt knock on idle or smoke or under 3k rpm. Took it today to see greame for his verdict and when i got there it was getting worse and louder as but still not on idle or until around 2k rpm.

what a shitter mate! feel for you! :)

the best thing i would do is to break/swap parts to the ep95 but considering you dont want to do that i dont really know what to say but i hope all goes well and all the best for you buddy!

In my opinion though, if they worked on it and it started acting up within 24hrs of getting it back, I would be going back and arguing the fact your not happy with it and simply ask what all was done, yeah they will always cover their asses but still if they are good and honest they should certainly take it in for a look

True, but its their reputation at stake too mate, and you arent gona go back to them and your certainly not gona send any business their way, very easy to bad mouth them these days with the wonderful invention of computers. Im just saying I would go back and be hard and honest with them, they worked on the car, you took it home and out the next day, then it starts misbehaving, nothing ventured, nothing gained

i know what you mean mate but with the way im feeling now i know if i do say anything to the guy he will annoy me and ill end up rolling about with him. cant be arsed with that. i couldnt care less about there reputation nor does he as he only works in the place hes still getting paid.

Yeah dont want to end up in a fisty cuffs mate, they arent worth that.

Personally then, id strip the engine out, if you stumble across a spare drop it in, strip the bottom of the engine and see how bad it is, take it from there.

if ya have a scout around and find a decent 4efte engine then buy that and swap in and keep the fucked engine to rebuild for your 4wd one. shit when things happen at shit times. rebuilding a bottom end is not cheap tho . ya forget about alot of stuff. bit of bad luck there mate. hope ya can decide what to do.

i think im just gonna replace the engine and rebuild the other 1 for the 4x4.. if i buy 1 now! just gutted really after just having the top end done and all the bodywork sorted and a lot of other bits n bobs then getting a fresh mot on it and finding a buyer. now the fucking bottom end has gone!

when the bottom end went in my black gt i tried repairing it.....but i had lost faith in it and was worried it would go again. so i bought an engine from tintinsr for 250 quid which was brill to say it had only done 29000miles. banged that in and id never been so happy. it was such a strong engine i thought it was going to run forever lol

id seriously buy another engine put it in yours then spruce the broken one up and put it in the 4wd :) what a monster that will be haha

thanks jezza your sum man! I've been speaking to some1 who might be up for fixing the bottom end for me. im also doing a job for a guy with a recovery truck:D he picked up that forged corsa for us. could get him to take the car to ian to get fixed:D hopefully get it back next week, sort out the fuelling and put it back up for sale and get my hands on a 4wd beast!

in theory your not out of pocket. Still gotta buy an engine. Still gotta forge. Just put it down to experience. Obv hassle of swappin engines but oh well. I had same situation after takin car to garage n something up. Not engine but new crack in bumper. Can't prove anythin but pisses me off. Just my two pence worth.

just wait and see how bad the shells are worn.

My bottom end started knocking and i got the garage to remove the shells and polished the crank a little put new acl bearing in and its been going fine and thats with hard driving.

just wait and see how bad the shells are worn.

My bottom end started knocking and i got the garage to remove the shells and polished the crank a little put new acl bearing in and its been going fine and thats with hard driving.

how much did that cost u if u dont mind me asking?