Grooved Discs?

I've got an almost 200bhp glanza v, except the previous owner hasnt upgraded the brakes :p

my dad said that all i really need is some grooved discs :p

any feedback on this?

what you want is grooved discs and ebc yellow stuff pads, red stuff are not recommended on starlets as they dont get up to operating temps. also be interested in what mods u have for 200bhp as it more than likely isnt, people sell them saying the 200bhp and they never bloody are the scammers

what you want is grooved discs and ebc yellow stuff pads, red stuff are not recommended on starlets as they dont get up to operating temps. also be interested in what mods u have for 200bhp as it more than likely isnt, people sell them saying the 200bhp and they never bloody are the scammers

well as soon as ive got some breaks sorted for it, im stickin it on a rollin road, so i'll let you know what it comes back with.

but the bloke did say when its runnin at 1 bar its not exactly 200 just a bit less.

im not bothered anyway, i love it either way :)

what you want is grooved discs and ebc yellow stuff pads, red stuff are not recommended on starlets as they dont get up to operating temps.

That's not right:

Greens = Fast road (nasty....)

Reds = Very fast road/trackday (less warmup needed then Yellows)

Yellows = Full race/trackday/ridiculously fast road (need MORE warming up than Reds)

For some reason loads of people have got this mixed up! :lol:

Guest Enzo

he Kerri :lol:

il like my greeens lol

to the op my advice is to get some braded lines (stops balooning of pipes, and increases pedal firmness)

and also invest in a brake master cylinder stopper,( stoped the master cylinder moving when you put your foot on the brake -also increasing pedal firmness)

these two imporvements should give you more confidence with the brakes.

they work effectivly, they just dont feel like they do.

you wont notice any gains in performance from fitting grooved discs,

sorry ive just read the first post and nonoe of the replys,

he Kerri :lol:

il like my greeens lol

to the op my advice is to get some braded lines (stops balooning of pipes, and increases pedal firmness)

and also invest in a brake master cylinder stopper,( stoped the master cylinder moving when you put your foot on the brake -also increasing pedal firmness)

im dont want to increase performance, i just want some breaks that work as my normal arent very good at stopping lol

im dont want to increase performance, i just want some breaks that work as my normal arent very good at stopping lol

the oe break setup is pretty wank tbh, would be worthwhile trying to increase the performance imo. also get them breaks bled before anything

I corrected that thread on TGTT as well if you look at page 2 - I would like to see proof that EBC said that, I bet it's a case of wires crossed, or Chinese Whispers, crossed wires, or ulterior motives (someone selling Yellows "explaining" why Reds are no good).

Reds are ideal for everything from a 90bhp Nova GTE to a 300+bhp TVR Chimaera race car....it depends on driving style a lot as well.

For 90% or people Reds are ideal, if they are REAL track nuts or very heavy on the brakes than Yellows are the next stage....BUT TAKE MORE WARMING UP THAN REDS!

(...did I mention that Yellows take more warming up than Reds....not sure...)

:lol:

I thought red stuffs were shocking tbh, not sure if its to do with the fact that there ceramic..? Havent had experience with the Greens/yellows tho.

However according to EBC Yellows have better cold friction than reds..

fcebcf68.jpg

2c3e99c6.jpg

I thought red stuffs were shocking tbh, not sure if its to do with the fact that there ceramic..? Havent had experience with the Greens/yellows tho.

However according to EBC Yellows have better cold friction than reds..

I think they mean "based on similar pads" - ie their Yellow pads are better from cold than other race pads.

I found numbers:

pr_25ebc-compound-temp-chart-02.gif

Interesting graph but way too smoothed, I'd like to see the detail at cold etc.

comparisonchart.gif

Every customer I've asked who's tried Red and Yellow on the same car (same calipers+discs as well) have said that Yellows are great but take more warming up.

he Kerri :(

il like my greeens lol

From what i can gather the standard brakes are absolutely fine from running standars discs and pads and using grooved discs wont benefit you really for road use there just good if your hammering it round a track all day. but as geo said above. a nice set of braided lines and a BMCS is the best braking improvement you can do

I corrected that thread on TGTT as well if you look at page 2 - I would like to see proof that EBC said that, I bet it's a case of wires crossed, or Chinese Whispers, crossed wires, or ulterior motives (someone selling Yellows "explaining" why Reds are no good).

Reds are ideal for everything from a 90bhp Nova GTE to a 300+bhp TVR Chimaera race car....it depends on driving style a lot as well.

For 90% or people Reds are ideal, if they are REAL track nuts or very heavy on the brakes than Yellows are the next stage....BUT TAKE MORE WARMING UP THAN REDS!

(...did I mention that Yellows take more warming up than Reds....not sure...)

:(

lol, calm down, like i give a monkeys, i was merely stating what I read, im no brake know it all. If you listened to every single person that told you you were wrong or right you wouldnt know what to believe. But at the same token, why is it there not as available as yellows? supply and demand, people use yellows and like, so they want them, demand. funnily enough not alot of people want reds...funny that

lol, calm down, like i give a monkeys, i was merely stating what I read, im no brake know it all. If you listened to every single person that told you you were wrong or right you wouldnt know what to believe. But at the same token, why is it there not as available as yellows? supply and demand, people use yellows and like, so they want them, demand. funnily enough not alot of people want reds...funny that

I am calm, but I sell brakes for a living so what I am saying is based on lots personal and customer experience.

The fixation on Yellows (and more specifically thinking Reds are not as good for fast-road) is a Starlet-only thing....the MR2, Ford, TVR, BMW etc lads all use Reds first, then Yellows at the track if the Reds overheat.

Not sure what you mean by "not as available as yellows"? I assume that a dealer has got EBC to make batches of pads (as the are not a common UK shape other than the early EP82 front) for the Starlet in Yellows (for trackday/race/very powerful cars) but not Reds....and therefore is telling everyone Reds are not worth bothering with - from that point on it's word of mouth.

Guest Enzo
I think they mean "based on similar pads" - ie their Yellow pads are better from cold than other race pads.

I found numbers:

pr_25ebc-compound-temp-chart-02.gif

Interesting graph but way too smoothed, I'd like to see the detail at cold etc.

comparisonchart.gif

Every customer I've asked who's tried Red and Yellow on the same car (same calipers+discs as well) have said that Yellows are great but take more warming up.

nice info Kerri :(

agreed! very interesting!

I've used Greens for the last 5 or 6 years, never thought they were THAT bad tbh, but i am open to the idea of changing this time around based on what comes most highly recommended.

reading that graph above, Greens still appear to be the most effective from cold.

Phil.