I finished swapping the engine in my Starlet yesterday and just took it for a quick drive to run it in a bit, was a bit shitty, not lumpy or rough or anything but definately not firing on all four cylinders.

Went back home and pulled the plugs, fuck me, they were shit. One of them had a load of crap between the gap, the rest weren't much better, I don't know how it was even running the way it was in the first place.

How the fuck can a shitty little engine like that run so well on 2-3 cylinders?

After cleaning the plugs up it went like shit off a shovel!

I'm almost having second thoughts on selling the car tbh but want to get the CRX on the road.

I really don't know how the fuck it was running with the state of those plugs, I should have took a picture.

Totally agree with you mate 4EFEs are Warriors mine still flew and ran really really well when the Rings went. And now its been rebuilt it drives so so nice and feels a bit quicker than before.

Toyota sure know how to build quality engines!!

Agreed. The amount of abuse I treated my old N/A to and it never missed a beat!

Same here, I absolutely thrashed my first Starlet, almost 10 thousand miles of pure 6k rpm abuse. (Bought with 65k on the clock).

My second Starlet had done 104k when I bought it and would still be running now if it wasn't for the radiator failing and losing all the water. It still started and drove (with no power) after the engine was cooked though.

The engine I've just put in it has done 67k and had no problems getting it to run after fitting it, it was pretty much swap it straight over and it started and ran fine straight away.

they are tanks of engines. are the 4eftes as good?

They are also demons IF serviced and maintained, basically need more TLC than a 4EFE's

My 4EFE corolla G6 got abused with 1 service a year etc without issues, but not the V, it gets a service every 2-3k etc.. you get the drift, more services and keeping it tip top - the way even a 4EFE should be treated