Getting that rally car sound?

Just been watching the infini tuned GT on YouTube and wondered which brand of BOV was running on the car? This EP I have has the SSQV but I think I'd want that one instead...I'm guessing it's a SARD as they're reputed to be the loudest?

Also the chatter/flutter...doesn't sound like my MR2 which is caused by the wastegate...do you think it's the wastegate? (can't be turbo stall as the BOV is there).

its not a wastagate sound or BOV sound.. its the sound of air chopping over the turbo blades

There's two sounds on that video, the very high pitched whistle..which can only be a bov??...and the flutter noise.

I can't think that the flutter sound is the air chopping over the turbo blades (turbo stall) as there is a BOV fitted to make the high pitched whistle? The air chopping over the turbo blades is when no BOV is fitted usually and the air to the inlet bounces back off the closed throttle plate through the system and back to the turbo, stalling the turbo by the counterflow of air.

I want taht sound on my little track weapon!!! Always wanted that and even running a T67-25G with external wastegate and screamer pipe on my MR2 doesn't give me THAT sound.

im pretty sure is the turbo making that sound i took my BOV of and when i booted my car it made that same high pitched noise. (slightly quieter)..im sure that is not a Bov making that noise.

its the air making that sound and then slowing down to create the lesser sound.

"""Wastegate Chatter Myth

There is a common myth in the automotive world about so called "wastegate chatter", a noise created on lifting off the throttle in a turbocharged car. The sound is commonly described as a chipmunk or a rattlesnake and is often stated incorrectly as being a result of the turbo's wastegate closing.

The noise is in fact the air compressed by the turbo passing back through the compressor housing of the turbo after having hit the now closed throttle plate.

A BOV (Blow Off Valve) will usually eliminate this noise, but in some cases, i.e. where the BOV doesn't open fast enough or is setup to only react to high boost, some chatter will remain.

The chatter noise is very noticable on WRC Rally cars, where no BOV is allowed.""""

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIf0IwdiK0

Gaz is 100% right -- BOV's will only be able to dump so much gas as the throttle is closed. The rest gets forced back through the compressor housing giving the compressor surge/stall "chopping" sound.

You can get it in a standard GT/Glanza by just turning up the boost and adding a filter -- the OEM ricirc BOV can't dump enough gas so it chatters back through the filter.

You guys beat me to it!

Yup...it's either a normal style bov that isn't getting all the air out as the boost is upped so some is getting back....or the spring in the bov if it's adjustable like the ssqv or greddy type r is wound all the in meaning it only opens on full boost, so you get more stall.

either way...I'm wanting that. lol

On that touge video....lmao

There's no way on this earth that I'd diss Tsuchiya san even if I was in a rocket car and he was in a tesco's shopping trolley...he owns driving.

I'm gonna have to get a vid of mine fluttering so you can hear it -- sounds good. And I'm quite confident it won't damage the fins or thrust bearings any more than with a BOV, I'm only running 0.7BAR in HI

...and if it does, all the more reason to upgrade!

THIS IS wastegate chatter (on the yellow s14).......... Touge racing

Sounds awesome also gotta love the hachiroku....... also sounds immense!!!!!

thats turbo chatter

my turbo was on its way out.. i took my BOV off.. 3 weeks later it was much worse. not saying it had anything to do with no BOV. but hwo knows.

TURBO STALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remove bov, and bye bye turbo.

its the sound of the air being pushed reversely through the turbo, which is stalling the turbo and making a chattering noise as it chops through the blades backwards.

case closed.

haha

case closed...I like it. I'm not denying it's turbo stall, but with a bov you don't usually get that much air bouncing back unless the bov is adjustable and set tight...and I still wanna know what make bov is on that car :blink:

As for turbo stall wrecking a turbo, I'm not so sure on small turbos with low boost. Fair enough there's more lag but actual turbo damage?

ye mine fluttered when i tightened the ARC bov up, but it was certainly not wastegate chatter, because there's no such thing :blink:

now i've removed it its back to having absolutely nothing, which is far more pleasureable, relaxing, ahhh.

This argument arises alot on TGTT

From what ive heard on TGTT its not as harmful as some people are making it out ot be

If it does fuk your turbo up or watever it wont destroy it in a matter of weeks/months as some people have been running without BOV for over three years in some cases with NO trouble at all

And when i say wastegate flutter i mean turbo stall/chatter :blink:

Check TGTT if you want more info on this

as richy boy said, spot on.

they dont add bov's standard just for the fun of it.

if you t ake gaz for example , his gt is what, 14years old (he can confirm?) when he tryed removing his bov his turbo pretty much finished itself off.

chatter is not good. in some cases you cant help it, such as when your feathering the throttle, sometimes it will chatter no matter how you have your bov adjusted / or what brand bov you have.

and sparky, i know you knew allready , you was just testing 'em all bro :D:blink:

As has already been said a bov is there for a reason,longevity of the turbo.World Championship Rally cars don't have them fitted due to the rules and regs don't knowhy they arn't allowed. Probably because theres so many makes available and some are adjustable.Rally teams also change most parts of the car after each rally so longevity is not an issue.for me no matter how much or little damage is caused by turbo stall,i'm not prepared to knowingly damage my car for a bloody noise! I get it at low speed gear changes which isn't an issue but,given the speed of the turbo blades at high revs with air going the wrong way over them damage is unavoidable without a bov. I know loads of people talk bout this on tgtt,i'm happy to have a bov on mine regardless of what others want to d on theirs.:blink:

Craig thats not true it had already gone! like i keep saying.

ill be putting my bov on anyway. i think i actually prefer the sound of a BOV compared to the ct9 chatter i got. as that wasnt particularly loud.