When I started looking at Paseos, I was one of those people who tried to do the whole 'named driver' insurance. It started at quotes for 1.2k for an Si, but over recent weeks I am now unable to get it for more than 2k on a named driver policy. I soon realised that its no longer worth taking this massive risk and time to start getting proper insurance despite the stupid prices.

Ive been getting quotes on my own with a company called Coverbox (after trying loads of companies, they seem to be the cheapest!), that insures depending on mileage and Ive been getting quotes of around 1.9k for a Paseo ST and 2.1K for an Si (which at 19, and only passing my test in March... its kinda the best I could hope for).

Sadly now, getting quotes they have rocketed up to 2.3k for an Si! Its just getting more and more expensive.

What sort of prices are others paying on these cars? I'm seriously considering stopping the idea of a Paseo! I just got a quote of 1.4k for a Bluebird which although still high; pretty damn cheap compared to everything else and it will get me NCB which is what it's all about!

Nope really low risk area! All my named driver quotes are around 1.8k to 2k, but I realise the importance of getting no claims bonus. Here are some cars cheaper to insure than a Paseo (for a 19 year old who passed in March in a low risk area, 4k miles a year): Civic EF, Ford Capri, '86 Cav Cabriolet, Renault 18, '87 Mazda 323 Hatchback, Honda Accord Aerodeck, Corolla Hatchback, Old Mini / Mini Cooper and Triumph Acclaim. All cars I wouldn't mind owning seemsing I am into retro stuff anyway.

I guess the massive saving (of at least 300 a year, up to 1300 saving), on a car that costs less to buy and possibly less to run... means the Paseo dream will be put back another year! Sadly :wub:

insurance companies have completely changed their policies mate. :D

my brother who is 17 cant get a decent quote on a 1.0L micra

my town is a high risk as you get a lot of idiots on the roads.

get decent quotes is hard to do online, you have to try ringing them and haggle them down.

insurance will be going up for most when they renew :)

Yup, my friend has been paying 1200 this year to insure a 2.0 24v v6 Mazda 323F, which isn't bad as he got it at 19 with no NCB, however he is now 20 and insurance is soon up for renewal and even with the now 1 years NCB, he is getting quotes for more than 1200!

Absolute daylight robbery!

They wonder why so many drive uninsured.

Works out cheaper like that too. You drive around for yonks, then get pulled, 3 points, £60 fine and a slap on the wrist... better than £1500 a year. God if only it was that easy :)

First year is always pricey, when I started driving I was paying £1890 for a standard non-turbo starlet!

Then when got to 20 with 2 years no claims had what is now Sam's car for £750 with mods declared

When I had my Paseo back in the day, I started off at £900 tpft in my mums name with me as named driver. Stayed like that for 2 years.

Once I had my license for 2 years, I got it insured for £740 tpft in my name with all mods declared.

Came down to £680 when I renewed and had 1 years ncb, that was with sky insurance :thumbsup: was on a pretty good deal through them, unlimited mileage, with them as long as the modifications dont increase the performance, they dont increase the price, visual mods dont affect the premium. They knew about everything on mine, and didnt even charge me extra for the full exhaust system inc. manifold and the uprated induction kit, because basically, they were cheaper than standard parts and didnt make enough of a performance gain lol

As for the Mazda, I swapped it on my old policy, so it was based on me being 20 with 1 years ncb, registered at level 4 postcode (level 5 is the most risk), unlimited mileage, mods declared, and i'm paying a grand or thereabouts, it'll come down when my renenwal comes through as I'm now 21, and will have 2 years ncb then :lol:

Give them a try, I know they dont touch anyone under 19, but I cant remember off the top of my head whether or not you have to have held a full license for 2 years, I know you have to with some companies.

• 5 weeks later...