Madsalty's Ep91 Build Thread

Hi,

Well as a newbie here i've been told that the best way to move my car forward and discuss problems and mods is with my own build thread so hopefully i've created one!

Wel here she is. An S reg Toyota Starlet:

4757766709_0f49284114.jpg

She's in immaculate condition and runs as smooth as a nut with 90,000 on the clock.

First things first the plan:

1) Central Locking - Because i left it unlocked in a carpark yesterday.

2) I'm an audiophile so the original cassette has got to go! But i can't decide what speakers/speaker build should replace the originals. I'm in two minds, either:

- Just replace the factory speakers with good quality ones and run them off the head unit

or

- buy a second set of door cards, remove lower pocket and replace with woofer in fibreglass enclose and mount a tweater somewhere that creates a good sound image. These would probably be powered by an alpine amp hidden somewhere nifty, maybe under the seat of behind the dash. (I build a similiar setup in my last car, a ford ka)

3) Change the wheel trims. Despite being 19 i've only driven on and off for the last year so i haven't accrued any no-claims and thus insurance is still ridiculous.

4) Add A-Pillar mounted rev counter (because i have one lying around)

5) keep polishing it, until i get any better suggestions.

Oh, on an unrelated note can anybody tell me how to change the gearbox oil?

Hello from Mad!

an n/a thats still RED! lol great base to start from!

i have some n/a door cards from an SR with the electric window switches. just let me know if you want them.

PM'D

And on the note i've decided that a full component system is the way forward!

ALSO Does anybody have any rear speaker mounting suggestions?

- I'm not a parcelshelf speaker fan and i was thinking a small set mounted in the trim below the seatbelt or in the C pillar might work, any thoughts?

OO while i think about it:

What parts do i need to install a new headunit?

I know i need an ISO harness, and a new headunit.

But do i need a Single Din adapter?

- like : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FP-006-Toyota-Starle...=item51903e0fe3

If so could i then put one of these underneath it?

- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Celica-Do...=item35aa34c630

Kind Regards,

Chris.

fellow gainsborough starlet owner...

the stock speakers in a starlet are pretty shocking! consisting of just 2x10mm speakers in the front of the dash. Even with uprated ones there still going to be very tinny!

Some 6x9's in the shelf if done properly is a sutle and sleek way of getting much much better sound quality... Ill have to show you my setup and let you have a listen if your about somtime!?

Cheers

Matt.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Just thought i'd provide an update.

I'm currently happily driving my starlet and loving it's perky performance and good fuel economy.

I've been putting more thought into improving the stereo and i have plans in place :-)

Kind Regards,

Mad