Modifying a standard Starlet - HELP!!!!

Guys,

I am the proud owner of an unmodified 1998 Starlet 1.3i, 3 door.

I am looking to drop it by 40mm (most likely PI springs) and get a set Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 15inch 195 x 45 wheels.

Does anyone know if a standard starlet can comfortably take these wheels after lowering without having to modify arches etc..??? I wish to keep the car as standard as possible but feel I need to lower it so it won't look like a pick up truck after 15's.

Hope someone who has made a similar mod can help me out????

Bobby

i have 15s and 40mm pi's. have a look by clicking on the link. or heres a photo

PHOT0021-1.jpg

if you get 35mm to 37mm offset it will sit nicely in the arch with no scrubing at all. i had 4 in with no probs. the only issue you may have in the exhaust scraping on the floor over extreme bumps but its nothing major at all. may not even do it with standard exaust on. hope this helps

Nice one.

Another question, I know the PI's won't be bang on 40 mm and I believe they lower to a set height.

If it lowers by exactly 40mm after fitting, there shouldn't be any scraping in the arches right?

Im planning on making the order now you see, otherwise is it possible to get 35 mm PI's, and if so should I go for those instead?

Cheers mate

i can assure you of no scrubbing as long as you get the right offset. looks like it lowers more than 40mm which is cool. i woul go for the 40mm over the 35mm.

it will be a harder ride over potholes and stuff but handling will be improved a great deal. add a front strut brace and you'll be very happy indeed.

you can use the standard shock like i am but it is recomended that you upgrade if you have the funds. but using standard ones is still ok.

Hey Bobby! B)

Welcome to the site.

Your standard shocks will eventually get worn by using just lowering springs.

A lot of owners here use this setup and it could last a few years or a few months.

Low mileage would be a small advantage but when they go, they will go.

Its because the original shocks are mismatched to the lowering spring, so basically wont work as they really should.

But it would certainly be a good temporary fix until you can afford decent uprated shocks or coilovers.

also 25mm tte springs can be used safely on the standard starlet shocks, as they were factory designed to fit the SR.

I jumped straight to coilovers, missing out the lowering springs route as I wanted a proper setup with no hassle later on, but the common logic is there... Im sure some more people who have used/are using the standard shocks/lowering springs setup will be able to give you some decent hands on feedback.

Im a guy hooked on suspension by the way lol!

I would talk more but I have to go :(

Hope this all helps bro.

Enjoy your stay!

Peace Out

J :ph34r: Z

With your car having only 30k on the clock they should be ok for a good while.....my car was lowered 40 on PI's and 15s but then my shocks were fuked but my car had like 70k on the clock. PLus if its only motorway miles your doing then they should be fine but mine had a hard life :(

I thought that id take the oppurtunity to get some coilovers which i did

Hope this helps :ph34r:

Coilovers

Around £450 - £700 or more 2nd hand for reasonable and decent examples from Jap Yahoo Auctions or similar sources from personal experience. JDM is where its at :(

£575 (tgtt group buy D2s)

Around and over £1000+ (Teins, Ohlins etc)

for the serious enthusiast!

Peace Out

As I haven't got the funds for coilovers and not wanting to kill my original shocks I might be tempted by 30mm or 35mm lowering as opposed to 40mm. Any suggestions on some decent springs that match well with the standard starlet shocks?? I have a budget of £150 ish

Hey Bobby :(

The only spring with the best match to your standard shocks is the 25mm tte springs or spring 25mm of different brands.

Any 35mm-40mm spring will still not be ideally suited to your shocks.

The only other variations I have seen in lowering spring are 25mm, 35mm, 40mm, 60mm and 80mm.

£150 will get you a decent set of proper 40mm jap springs like R*SR, you can also get eibachs for that kind of money too.

Hope that helps!

Peace Out

A decent set of shocks and springs can cost the same as a set of coilovers

Right set of front and rear shocks, last two items on this page £216

Set of springs top of this page £70.50

For some reason I think Spax springs can be had for £40, could be wrong

You'll probably needed some top mounts (unless the shocks come with them it doesn't say)

Front and rear sir? £300

Total £586.50 now add postage

I you look around you can get a second-hand set of coilovers for that, or better deals than what I've just thrown up here

Konis are meant to be good shocks £389

A lot of people use D2 coilovers, here £635

But can be got cheaper in group buys over at ToyotaGTTurbo.com

What was you budget again? :ph34r:

Guys,

Thanks for your advise so far. I have found some 30mm Eibach's for £170ish. Has anyone used these with Standard Starlet shocks/setup.

They are around £80 more than PI's or APEX and I would be tempted to buy these if they work better with the original shocks and not screw the original suspension. Also as they are 10mm less-a drop than the 40mm PI's should these be better for the original toyota shocks??

any uprated spring will reduce the life of the shock mate, its not just about how low they are, but how tightly they're wound etc, the less give they have, the more the shock will have to compensate and as such, even if you lower it slightly, it could still go pop shortly after.

for £170ish, you could get a very nice uprated shock/spring combo, used ofcourse, but hell, mine cost me half that and has been going strong for years :ph34r:

It wasnt easy finding used uprated shocks and springs combos when I was on the hunt.

They are a bit elusive in the UK, used of course, but the very odd set turns up.

The best place would be Yahoo Auctions Japan if you wanted something of real quality, but dont be surprised to see it go for similar money to coilovers.

Best best is to save a little more and get proper shocks if you are worried about bursting your original ones. Altho eibachs are top quality springs, it would be better put that £170 toward the more afforable spings, and a good bit towards new shocks like Konis or KYB Street Specials. For that kind of setup is still £400+. If it was that easy Im sure everyone would get their suspension sorted which would be nice.

Lowering springs on their own are effective for looks of course but defo ineffective for your geometry and original shocks, but are generally a quick fix.

Its up to you how far you want to go with the car and what you want out of it...

I have spent twice the value of the car and Im still not content, when will it end lol!!!

Peace Out

I think £170 is too pricey for Eibach, as somebody has said you can get R*SR ones for £150 which are jap.

P.S I have Koni Adjustables, lowered approx 40mm, never any sign of rubbing with my Enkei's, even with 5 people in the car.