The "chatter" you are referring to is (turbo stall) witch is no good for your turbo mate,but if you want the noise go for a turbo with an external waste gate :)

to be honest id say thats an opinion and not fact. mines chattered from day one no BOV or dumping just 100% pure chatter and my turbos as strong as ever. its a common misconception that chattering is bad for your turbo

@theminiguru- try putting your foot down a bit, getting the turbo to spool up then instead of lifting the clutch to get it to dump, try lifting off a lot slower gently feed the pedal in and it should chatter. will take a bit of practice on how slow etc to do it but my blitz suoer sound BOC used to chatter all day long doing this

Quick lift of clutch=Dump

slow release of clutch= Chatter

the easyest way to get chatter with one of the dv's is to fit the 1bar plus or the red spring to it. chatters like mad just driving about but when you give it the beans it dumps quite nicley :)

The shorter the air intake pipe the more chatter you will hear, with my blitz dump valve I get a good dump sound when I back off the throttle sharp, and chatter when letting off slow it's pure win!

The noise comes from the waste gate opening and shutting as the air pushes its way through. Just sort of flutters.

Simple quick fix for you I would say shorten the air intake pipe, when I did mine the air filter fitted on the straight pipe just after the distributor cap. Just before the "S" bend up to the standard air filter box.

The noise comes from the waste gate opening and shutting as the air pushes its way through. Just sort of flutters.

No it doesn't, it comes from the compressor blades as the air is forced back through them. it doesn't stop the blades or rotate them back round as some people seem to think it mealy 'stalls' them slightly, slowing the rotation chopping the air as it passes back through giving it that 'chatter' sound.

As above if you want it, simply remove the bov altogether. if you want a bit of both get a bov with a harder spring in so it will dump on full boost and chatter on soft throttle.

Compressor surge does damage some turbo's... you guys are all lucky that the ct9 are reasonable robust. Mr2's had a CT20b that had ceramic comp blades... try stalling them and the blades will crack and brake off, bad times. But most new age turbos or hybrids wont have any problem with a bit of comp stall :)