Ep82 - Stripped Out How Light Can I Go?

Been doing track days for nearly a year in the trusty ep82 starlet now and she is loving it! Running at about 185bhp 0.98bar with coilovers and its sweet.

I dont think i need any more power for the time being as utilising what i have got seems to be the cheapest option, next is lsd but what i want to know is what weight can i get my lovely starlet down too.

Had it corner weighted a while back and with a tank of fuel its coming in at 880kg, still got everything inside, the only thing i have stripped out is the Aircon unit (which was bloody heavy!)

What weight can i get her down too, i really want to get her into the 7xxkg zone, is this possible. Any advice on stripping her down for weight saving would be appreciated, whats the quickest most beneficial route to go down.

I dont know if anyone has done it yet, but when i strip it i'll weigh everything so future people can see where to save what where :o

Cheers

Craig

u need to try balance were your removing it though as most of the stuff you can take out is rearwards,seats,spare wheel etcetc,i did it in my colt, took literally everything out and it was iffy entering a corner because of lack of weight at the rear. itll throw the balance of the car out and you might be lighter and quicker in a line but you might find it twitchy n worse ina corner,

it all depends how hardcore you want to go! you definately wanna look at removing the rear seats, interior and all the sound deadening, that will save you a few kg's. after that you could start looking at lightweight seats, etc. then after that it gets expensive, perspex windows etc

What weights are your cars guys, perspex windows i have been seriously considering, did you get them made or did you buy them ready made, where can i get them from?

Next dry day im gonna gut it out, got a lightweight racing battery on order :p I can see myself getting really anal about making it as light as possible lol

Want to replace my wheels too, currently there 16's so think i can save a few kg by putting 15's on, plus i think it will handle better :o

I have got a cobra seat in the drivers at the moment, got another one for the passenger but im having a nightmare getting a rail for it, no way in hell am i paying £200 for a new one!!!

i agree wi matt glanza on that one i have perspex windows and cards with a little peep hole lol and they are light as fek compared to standard doors
7XXkg is possible, have a look at NightSpirit's EP82 track car, his was some hardcore stripped out shit, he even went as far as removing every wire that he didn't need lol.

Was going to say look at NightSpirits old EP, that was uber light. Think his was 750kg??? but i could have been lighter, was defo 700 something.

Its all about being lightweight, i know mine is stupidly light but when mines all done and road legal im going to start trying to make it lighter. I am aiming for 550kg with the aim of shaving about 10-20kg after its road legal. That mixed with about 200+ bhp should be interesting :o

You could even go as far as removing the roof lining and carpets. the carpets weigh a fair bit, not massively heavy but you'd be suprised. cant believe no ones suggested carbon fibre panels yet. get yourself a carbon fibre bonnet they weigh naff all compared to the very heavy standard bonnet

You could even go as far as removing the roof lining and carpets. the carpets weigh a fair bit, not massively heavy but you'd be suprised. cant believe no ones suggested carbon fibre panels yet. get yourself a carbon fibre bonnet they weigh naff all compared to the very heavy standard bonnet

Steve's got a good piont there.

Just rip out anything ya don't need. You then need to start looking at weight distribution, like moving battery to the rear, smaller fuel tank and replacing front items with carbon parts to try and get a 50/50 weight distribution. :o

Some of you may have seen my start at strippin out my starlet, can anyone point me in the right direction for a lightweight fuel tank to replace the stock one. It obviously needs to be big enough to allow the pump to go onto the thank too.

Hope you can help, oh and another thing i dont want a ridiculously expensive tank and it needs to be light as fook :lol: so aluminum is probably best!

Craig

NAIL.....HEAD

That is all :o