Hello all, as some of you may know im new to the forum and havnt actually got a starlet yet although im looking for an N/A ep91 i think. i was just wondering what the performance is like in the little 1.3 and how it would compare to my peugeot 206 1.4 8v.

all comments and views welcome, just want to get an idea of what to expect really. thanks :lol:

JARVIS

i love the performance of mine, its basicly standard and ive easily kept up with a 2.0 hyundi coupe.

fairly confident that if my dad was in my gt i could pull away from him round the twistys.

all about how you drive it and who is driving it at the end of the day though.

tbh, i just want a nice little nippy car around town, not really fussed about top end, i like a nice handling car, low and arb's is the way forward for slower cars i find. twisty roads are far more exciting to drive on than motorways and dual carriageways....

it will be my 4th car.

ive owned a 1.0L 12v corsa

1.9 DTurbo pug 306

1.4 8v pug 206

fancy something jap and i think starlets can look awesome! and it seems cheaper to insure than my current 206

thanks fellas, your helping me out, keep it coming :lol:

Jarvis

tbh, i just want a nice little nippy car around town, not really fussed about top end, i like a nice handling car, low and arb's is the way forward for slower cars i find. twisty roads are far more exciting to drive on than motorways and dual carriageways....

it will be my 4th car.

ive owned a 1.0L 12v corsa

1.9 DTurbo pug 306

1.4 8v pug 206

fancy something jap and i think starlets can look awesome! and it seems cheaper to insure than my current 206

thanks fellas, your helping me out, keep it coming :lol:

Jarvis

It will be quicker than all of your previous cars. You've got the right idea, upgrade the suspension and brakes.

All I had on my first Starlet engine wise was an induction kit and Corolla inlet manifold. Was very nippy, 40-60 in 2nd gear you could piss past any traffic with ease.

They are great to drive, although the standard suspension is horrendously shit, once you've got some decent suspension and a rear anti roll bar and some strut braces they handle quite well. :)

The brakes aren't up to much either. Would advise atleast getting some decent pads or something.

But overall, they are good cars, very reliable. My first Starlet took some serious abuse and didn't miss a beat.

thanks ste, thats what i need in my life, something reliable, i will be putting the 3rd gearbox in the pug 206 in a week or so, then i can sell it and get into the starlet scene.

ill need to do some proper research into what suspension i can get to bolt onto it, im sure you lot on here will help me out, you've all been a great help already, deffinatley swung me to buying one now :lol:

hi mate, if i had performance in mind id only go for a jdm ep82 it has 25bhp more as standard and revs higher whilst being the weight of two fat people lighter

as bigman said performance of 128bhp per ton is leagues above the standard weedy83bhp per ton that the ep91 has

if you decided to go for a soliel L which is 750 kilos then that rises up to 135bhp per ton

for reference heres our power to weight ratio board just to show how potent it is,

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/power-to-weight.html

ive been driving around in na ep91s for a while now and cant believe on all the extra performance ive been missing out with my na82(in my avatar) its opened up nicely after good kicking (had a tight engine with 20k on it) and it revs to 7000 rpms instead of 6200 for the p91 nas

i can import them for around the £1200 mark if that interests you.

and because its an na the insurers will base it on a uk equivelent when it comes to insurance so you should not get raiped if you look around

ps ul realise that the 82s are a lot cooler at some point :lol:

@ ste when you get your crx on the road if your fancy a jaunt at some point id love to compare the two cars after a few mods, i think the difference would not be that much after ive fitted a few engine parts.

cheers for that enzo, thats certainly given me alot to think about, i do like the looks of the 82 aswel, i jus dont seem to see many of them around for sale. now you've let me in on the performance secret it has become alot more appealing :lol:

so will that be around the 1200 mark on the road or is that not on the road?

thanks again fella, this forum is really helpful

Yeah I'd be up for that if you're ever down this way, my CRX is pretty much standard apart from intake/exhaust.

CRX's weigh around 1050kg or there abouts, fully loaded with electric everything and air con, the only thing it misses is PAS.

Works out roughly as 150bhp per tonne, the figures suggest they are very similar to a standard turbo Starlet in terms of 0-60 time but I think the CRX would have the edge at the top end.

I think your N/A would be a good contender against a D16Z6 Civic.

lol @ carl

@ jarvis that would be it imported where you would have to pic it up from the docs.

id help you with how to go about getting it registered, taxed and motd if you want. its not that hard or expensive.

@ ste yea ive been bouncing about figures constantly with this, pretty infactuated with it to be honest.

if i get another 15bhp from mine(totaly achievable with decat, exhaust, mani and emanage) and strip it down by 40 kilos (loosing pas pump + aircon pump + slimline batter) to 740 kilos that takes the power to weight up to 157bhp per ton which would be right on your stomping ground

i totaly agree that about top end being poor because of the small displacement though

i had a wee jont in with a mate who bought leas old civic ek4 b16 saloon last night, it takes him till the best part of a 85 before he starts to pull on me, befoe that its even stevens. we did many pulls and thats what ive observed

doing it yourself

before you can register it you need to get it mot'd

mot ranges from £25-£50 dependant on who you know

after you have that out of the way you need to get the car insured on the vin number

once you have the cover note take your mot certificate and cover note + export certificate(id give you that) to your local dvla office and fill out a v55 form( i have some here that id mail you with your export certificate)

registering it and tax(six months) equates to £133

wait 4 days then you get your number plate othersiation certificate,

get your plates made up (20 quid?)

then your good to go

there are awesome little cars and well worth it!

you get them in quite a few colours aswell, white, silver, black, navy blue, light blue, burgendy, lime green and i think you may get them in a dark grey colour but not too sure.

and the ep82 n/a over here arent about as much as the ep91 and the ep82 n/a uk spec has a 2e engine instead of the 4efe engine which is in all other starlets as far as im aware of.

ahh right i see, the uk spec models dont have the more powerful engine then, okay. hmm im gunna have to try and get some money together i think...

yeah the more powerful ones are made for the japanese market.