Tuning A 5e-fhe Naturally Aspirated

wel guys im hoping to buy a jap import cynos soon the model with the 5e-fhe engine which is 115bhp as standard im hoping to tune up this engine without turboing it hoping around the 200bhp mark :rolleyes: is it possible or how much would i be looking at????? gonna do everything internals,ecu.....etc what parts are the best to buy?? cheers!!

You'll be hard pushed to get even slightly near 200. 150 would be a more reasonable and achievable target (100bhp per liter).

But to get that you're going to need to spend a bit, ITBs, a good exhaust system and manifold, head work, ECU, etc...

200 IS theoretically possible but that's with a silly high compression ratio amongst other things.

cheers ste 150 is what ill have to go for dont want to turbo it because had a 97 paseo with 4e-fte in it and previous owner did wiring loom all wrong and gearbox gave trouble so jus wanna build n/a. seen a blog recently where a guy had a 200bhp 5e-fhe n/a ina glanza

If the job is done right (I'm talking about the 4e-fte conversion) or boosting a 5e-fe/fhe you want have any problems and you'll get better performance figures easy and much more cheaper than going n/a.

Just because the previous owner didn't know what he was doing (or had the swap done by a monkey) does mean that its not reliable.

Generally to go full out with a 4E/5E engine doesn't worth it. Is this the blog you show the n/a starlet ? http://project-red-ep91.blogspot.com/

If yes this project has been dumped and the owner (which is a member of UKSC) has gone for a 4e-fte.

To answer your question in order to get the most out of a 5E you need forged internal (all balanced), upgraded bearings, massive flow work in the head, upgraded bigger valves, stiffer springs, wilder cams (and adj cam gears), very high compression (at least 12:1), ITB's, full exhaust and exh. manifold (those probably make the car impossible to pass MOT), upgraded injectors, a stand-alone ecu, lightened underdrive pulleys and lighter flywheel and various other bits to make it happen. And with all this I doubt that you can reach the 200 (at crank) figure.

It can be made to fit yes.

For what you will spend trying to squeeze power out of the 5EFHE you could easily get a lot more from a 4EFTE.

Also you could probably sell your 5EFHE engine and wiring loom to another N/A owner who can't afford to go turbo but wants more power as it's definately a big improvement over the standard 4EFE. That will get you some money back and probably pay most of what it would cost to get a decent 4EFTE and loom.

i want to work up to this engine in the future, been searching hi and low for a fhe engine. the engines are pretty scarce.

140ish bhp is a realistic figure for the fhe unit with bolt on mods(underdrive pully, cai, mani and decated exhaust), more so with some lairy cams,

ive got cam specs for an fhe with 55mil 4age tb which made 153ps

why not just stick a ct9 on it ????

from what i understand the 5efhe has thicker rods than a gt/glanza - you could get sum 4efte pistons in it (or leave it as is with a thicker headgasket and give that a try) put the oil feed on off a 4efte and the sump then get it running - piece of piss once you had the bits i bet you could do it in a day

oh and get an emb on it lol - that would make 200 with fast spool - almost from idle